TL-WPA4220 looses internet connectivity after few days of uptime

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WPA4220 looses internet connectivity after few days of uptime

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
43 Reply
Re:TL-WPA4220 looses internet connectivity after few days of uptime
2020-06-14 01:20:40 - last edited 2020-06-14 01:22:09

Hi guys, 

I'm having some troubles with this same kit, and i decided to share my troubleshooting so far. 

- TL-WPA4220 v4.0

- Firmware version: 4.0.3 Build 20190326 Rel.43406

- Simptoms: Lossing connectivity to internet almost everyday.

Now the strange, I have 4 devices connected to this adapter. A desktop, via Ethernet, a laptop via ethernet, 2 consoles, via WIFI.

- The laptop is for work, wich i use from 8am to 6pm, no issues during the day, not a single one...

- Desktop, that I use after work, this is were I notice all the issues mostly. 

- Consoles, while gaming, never noticed any issue.

This made me think that my desktop might be the culprit. So I made some changes:

- Changed ethernet controller/interface (first one was a realtek, and there were loads of posts saying that they have issues.

- Changed IP configurations to static IP. both on desktop and TP-Link adapter.

- Changed DNS, for both the ISP and google (8.8.8.8)

Then I noticed something when the issue occours:

- I loosing conectivity to the internet and my router. I continue to have connectivity to my TP-Link adapter

- My Wifi consoles also loose connectivity during the issue

- The TP-Link adapter show nothing on system logs

- Android TP-Link APP from a device connected to the router, shows no TP-link devices online.

- connectivity is restored after some time (from 1 to 2 minutes)

Here's a picture of me, getting the logs, and windows showing no internet connection and testing connectivity to my router.

I will try to downgrade the firmware to TL-WPA4220(EU)_V4_180308. if it still fails, as they are still in warranty, i'll send them for repair. I will keep you guys updated. 

Options
2020-06-14 11:06:07

Hi all,

After the downgrade, the issue still occours.

As you see, i never loose connectivity with the TL-WPA4220, but i cant reach the Router and the Internet. System logs show nothing, so it's hard to troubleshoot the TL-WPA4220.

Does anyone have a sugestion of what I should try next? if not, I'll contact the seller to get hardware support for this kit .

Options
2020-06-15 18:59:09

Hi all, hi @videodrome Is there any special procedure for the downgrade? Just connecting ethernet to the WPA4220? Is there anything that needs to be done on the TL-PA4010 injector?

Options
2020-06-17 07:08:57

@LennyK 

I have same issue. I have 2 X V1 and 1 new V4. The V4 drops internet connections. V1s are all fine. I have wasted so much time with chat support. They made me do so many things. And still won't fix or replace. after 3 chat session, and doing probably dozens of different things, they are still making me do things. Now after I read this thread, I realize, this is probably a major issue on V4 or the firmware it came with. Will tplink come clean and address this issue? 

Options
2020-06-17 07:22:27
I have the exact same issue same V4 and same firmware. I also have 2 x V1 on the network and these old ones have no issue. Support is giving me run around. Making me do all kinds of things. lots of people are having issues with V4. TPlink needs to deal with this seriously.
Options
2020-06-17 19:20:06

Update! 

After the downgrade, the issue isn't observed so often. And it recovers faster, it seems. 

(this app pings the Hosts one time every 1 minute) 

Although better, it's not solved at all. Is there a way to debug the hardware? Access it through command line and debug its services? I cant SSH or Telnet to it. 

Thank you.

Options
2020-06-17 23:33:37

PPUCCI wrote

Hi all, hi @videodrome Is there any special procedure for the downgrade? Just connecting ethernet to the WPA4220? Is there anything that needs to be done on the TL-PA4010 injector?

@PPUCCI

Should be straightforward enough. Once you're connected to the TL-WPA4220 via ethernet and logged into the web interface, navigate to 'System Tools', back up your existing settings, perform a factory reset, overwrite the V4_190326 firmware with an older version, then restore your settings from the backup.

You don't have to do anything with the TL-PA4010. If it was paired previously, then it will still be paired with the TL-WPA4220 after you restore the backup.

Options
2020-06-17 23:45:38

Dark-vash wrote

As you see, i never loose connectivity with the TL-WPA4220, but i cant reach the Router and the Internet. System logs show nothing, so it's hard to troubleshoot the TL-WPA4220.

Does anyone have a sugestion of what I should try next? if not, I'll contact the seller to get hardware support for this kit .

@Dark-vash

If your TL-WPA4220 only loses connectivity for a minute or two and re-establishes the connection itself (without a reboot), then the problem may be powerline interference or some other issue with your house wiring. Seems unlikely to be a fault with the device itself, and if you can access the web interface at all times without having to power cycle the adapter, then it's definitely not the same problem described elsewhere in this thread.

Is the TL-WPA4220 paired with a TL-PA4010? If you haven't done so already, try resetting both and pairing them again. Failing that, consider what other electrical devices are powered on after 6pm that could be injecting powerline noise. Even something as simple as a phone charger could be the culprit. Powerline issues are notoriously difficult to troubleshoot. 

Options
2020-06-18 00:18:04

@videodrome 

videodrome wrote

If your TL-WPA4220 only loses connectivity for a minute or two and re-establishes the connection itself (without a reboot), then the problem may be powerline interference or some other issue with your house wiring. Seems unlikely to be a fault with the device itself, and if you can access the web interface at all times without having to power cycle the adapter, then it's definitely not the same problem described elsewhere in this thread.

Is the TL-WPA4220 paired with a TL-PA4010? If you haven't done so already, try resetting both and pairing them again. Failing that, consider what other electrical devices are powered on after 6pm that could be injecting powerline noise. Even something as simple as a phone charger could be the culprit. Powerline issues are notoriously difficult to troubleshoot. 

Hi,

Yes, it re-establishes without reboot, although before the downgrade, took much more time.

Right now, I'm working from home and since I have a 6 yo child that keeps using the appliances all day, so at night, I usualy have less working devices. But yes, I understand your point and there could be some issues, or even a bad eletric wiring, this is a 25 yo home. I can see that in the values shown on the web interface

There should be more information on this connection, and issues with it, should be logged. The values dont seem to be very good, but they dont oscilate much.

Still, I can assure that right now is way better then it was, from 6pm till 1 or 2am, I wont even notice most of the time.

Options
2020-10-05 08:38:28
Thanks for the link. Just used it for downgrade
Options