Force a device to be attached to a specific deco unit? (M9 Plus)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-07 07:49:08

Hi,

I am using the M9 Plus deco system and was wondering if I can somehow force a specific unit (e.g. Amazon Alexa or any other device) to be connected to a specific deco unit. They seem to connect to the primary one but I would rather have them connect to a device that is closer to it.

In the latest version, you can see what devices are connected to each deco unit but there is also a toggle. What does this toggle do?

Regards

Options
7 Reply
Re:Force a device to be attached to a specific deco unit? (M9 Plus)
2020-01-08 02:16:12

@tord00 

Hello, there is no option to force specific unit to be connected by your clients. 

Do you mean mesh technology toggle? 

If  you want to force device connect to the specific Deco unit, you can disable the main Deco and then enable specific Deco and client, then disable mesh technology; then the Deco won't recommend device to roam among different Decos. 

You can read this article to get more information. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/180194

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-16 08:33:39

@Kevin_Z 

It would be a really nice feature though, to have a device pointing to a preferred Deco unit. I mean, I have a Sonos speaker which is fixed, would love to not see it connect to the hallway deco unit (the primary one) but rather the unit physically next to it. 

Options
2020-07-01 07:47:18
Agree - this would be a good feature in a future update. I have the same problem with a Sonos One in the bathroom that stays connected to the main unit, even though there is a unit right next to it.
Options
2020-07-03 07:41:14

@Kevin_Z 

I am having the same issue and I believe it is causing issues with speed and connectivity for the many IOT devices I have around my house. Do you think this will be a feature in a future update? Thanks

Options
2020-10-04 21:02:17

@tord00 

Yes I too would like for my laptop that is literally 12 inches away from the Deco unit, to connect to tha unit, instead of the Deco unit farthest away from it. Why did it do that (connect to a farther deco unit  instead of the one right next to it) to begin with? Some kind of distribution? Picked first one it saw? I am curious.

Options
2020-10-05 00:24:24

It's up to the client to decide which AP to connect to.

Read Kevin_Z's link above.

Options
2020-12-30 16:27:57

@McFly with my M9 'fast roaming' disabled, and my listed (in app) device has mesh toggled off, why would my client not 'choose' to use a deco which is literally inches away? The URL indicated doesn't seem to address this. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 3686

Replies: 7