Headseat and 2.4g band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Headseat and 2.4g band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Headseat and 2.4g band
Headseat and 2.4g band
2020-01-10 14:37:41
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

Hi,

Noticed something that makes me wonder if I will keep the product...

In my basement, I have a Smart TV, hooked up with an Amazon Firestick.

I also have a Bluetooth headset linked with the Firestick.

With my previous "regular" router, both the TV and Firestick were connected to the 5G wifi band, without issues..

Now, with the Deco M9, they both connect to the 2.4G band. Since I have the main Deco unit on the second floor and the satellite on the ground floor, I would have expected that the 5G band would be strong enough to be picked up by the TV and the Firestick but, maybe I just don't know enough about wifi signal.

In any case, I haven't noticed any streaming issues in the 4 days since we have gotten the Deco.

Nonetheless, I see 2 potential issues:

1- The basement television connects to the main Deco unit, 2 floors up, instead of the satellite on the ground floor! I had disabled Mesh before noticing that. I re-enabled mesh, in the hopes it would switch back but, it doesn't. Not sure if that means the main deco has better signal (I sure hope not!). How can I "force" the change?

2- Since setting up the Deco units, the basement bluetooth headset are giving us a warning that bluetooth headsets can mess with the 2.4g band and, as such, I should connect the Firestick (and the TV) to the 5G band... But I can't force this! 

Can you explain:

A- What would happen if the headset starts to cause interference on the 2.4G band for either the Firestick or the TV? Would they revert to the 5G band? Does Mesh option need to be enabled for that to happen?

B- Is there a way I can verify that the 5G band is strong enough to support streaming in the basement? As of now, my streaming needs are not too big and I am still on a 30mb plan but, I intend to upgrade to 100mb in the very near future and, the 2.4 band being so prone to interference (my microwave messes up my laptop's wifi!), I want to make sure the 5G band can cope. The way I see things right now, the basement equipment is probably picking up the 2.4 band because it's stronger but, since the previous router was farther but the 5G signal was still good enough, I would like to see how strong the 5G band is on the Deco satellite.

Last point: I live in Canada and, what attracted me to a mesh system was the fact that you could "grow" the system. I mean, the Deco M9 has 2 units so, it was perfect to test wether it would supply my 3 floors home. Nonetheless, since every review I read about mesh system speaks about adding satellites units if needed, I thought that, if needed, I would do just that.

On top of that, I saw that a 3-pack Deco M9 was supposed to be available eventually (and I see some people actually have that).

All of this to say that, I picked up the M9 with the idea to buy an additional satellite if needed. 

Since then, I contacted Tp-link in Canada and I was told there are no additional satellites for sale... Is that for real??? I don't want to have to buy another 2-pack untis when I only really need 1! Any ideas if additional satellites would eventually be available in Canada?

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:Headseat and 2.4g band
2020-01-13 00:03:38

Trying to put this post back near the top because, with all those spam post, I'm afraid it won't be seen by the tech people.

P.s.: not sure these are bot generated spam but it is ridiculous! 

Options
2020-01-13 01:51:21

@TheClerk 

Hello, thanks for your requesting. The spam posts have been deleted already, and we are working on this issue and trying to make it clear. 

Back to your case, the signal strength you obtained from one Deco need reach the threshold value then it can trigger the AP/band steering, and you can get seamless roaming between different Decos. While considering the current TV and firestick connect to the main Deco instead of the satellite one, it seems that the signal strength does not reach the threshold. You can disable 2.4GHz first and turn off the main Deco, once the TV and firestick connect to the 5GHz, you can disable mesh technology. 

You can read this article to get more information about fast roaming and mesh technology. 

Considering the bluetooth and microwave use the similiar/adjcent frequency, definitely, they will interfere the performance of 2.4GHz. While it is hard to evaluate the consequence, it depends on the actual network environment.

You can disable 2.4GHz and enable guest network 2.4GHz so that you can connect your devices to the 5GHz only; and for those devices which support 2.4GHz only, they can connect to the guest network.

Note: The host network and guest network are separate from each other in router mode. 

Different Deco products can work together and build up the mesh network, from the CA local website, the Decos are 2/3-pack. You can contact the retailer whether there is single one available. And you can contact the sales department to get some specific answer. 

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-networking/deco/ 

Sales E-mail: sales.ca@tp-link.com

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-13 14:08:54

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your answer; much appreciated.

The basement television finally switch to the satellite on its own. 1 thing resolved.

As for "forcing"  the 5.0GHZ over the 2.4GHz, can you confirm that I understand correctly?

From your reply, I uderstand that, If I disable 2.4GHz, then enable mesh for the basement Firestick and television, wait for it to connect to the 5.0GHZ then, disable Mesh again, it won't be able to switch back to the 2.4GHZ, is that it?

If it is, it's actually a great way to resolve this specific issue!

As for your second option (using the Guest network for 2.4GHZ), it's not good for me; my printer and my laptop are limited to 2.4GHZ and need to access/be accessed over the network. In any case, they don't stress me that much. It was really to make sure I had an option for the Firestick and television, which you have given me (if I understood correctly).

Thanks again.

Options
2020-01-14 05:29:23

@TheClerk 

Hello, thanks for your valued reply.

Glad to hear that you figured out the first thing.

With mesh technology disable, the seamless roaming between Decos for this client will be turned off, while the roaming initiated by the clients themselves won't be blocked. It is a workaround for those devices which want to connect to the specific wifi band. 

I see,  the guest network and host network are separated from each other, so it is not a good choice for you; You can connect the specific device to the wifi band as expected first and turn off mesh technology as a workaround for now. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 871

Replies: 4

Related Articles