Why is my old WiFi still available?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-13 16:21:38 - last edited 2020-01-14 19:33:59
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: No idea

I don't think I have ever set it up correctly. 

I gave my deco wifi network a name etc. However, the old WiFi network remains visible regardless of whether I have it set up as the router or access point. 

Therefore if I put a time limit on a device, the user can just switch to the old WiFi network and I have no control over it. 

Also any devices hard wired to the old router aren't visible in the app so again aren't controlled by the deco app. 

What is wrong with the set up? 

Options
8 Reply
Re:Why is my old WiFi still available?
2020-01-15 01:46:47

@Tucker 

Hello, what is the current network diagram? Except Deco M4, is there any other wireless router?

Please ensure that there is no guest network enabled on the Deco APP; you can reboot the Deco M4 and verify whether the old SSID still exists. 

Still the same, please show us a screenshot of the available wifi list on your device.

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-15 18:22:50

@Kevin_Z 

The deco is connected to the existing bt hub and is set up in router mode. 

I have 3 things hardwired to the bt hub. 

The deco network is tucker. The bt hub is BThub5-S8SP and remains visible and available to connect to with the old WiFi password. Anything connected to the bt hub doesn't show up on the deco app nor do the hardwired xboxs. 

Options
2020-01-16 01:48:29

@Tucker 

Hello, thanks for your valued reply.

From your description, the old wifi is from the BT hub, not the Deco network. 

And it is normal, the BT hub works in router mode, the wifi function will still work unless you turn it off; and due to the double NAT, the devices connected to the BT hub won't show up on the Deco app. 

You can try to disable the wifi function of BT hub, then the wireless devices can connect to Deco to get internet only, while the wired connection still works. 

Or you can configure the BT hub as bridge mode and Deco as main router; then all IP addresses will be assigned by the Deco.

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-16 10:40:03

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you. That makes sense. 

I will have a look at the bt hub settings. 

Are there any instructions anywhere on how I configure the bt hub to bridge mode? That seems like the most sensible option I have, so everything can then be controlled via the deco app. 

Options
2020-01-16 14:54:43

@Kevin_Z I have checked the hub settings and it appears that there is no option to put it in bridge mode. 

This seems to be also what a Google search suggests as only the business hub has that feature. 

That kind of renders the deco a bit of a waste of money as my intention was to be able to set time limits to the kids devices and stop them from sneaking electronics to bed and continuing watching daft YouTube videos when they should be asleep. 

I am not sure what the point of the deco is now as certainly the wired connections can't be controlled by the deco app even if I turn off the hub WiFi. 

Speed tests also seem to show the hub WiFi speeds are better than the deco one! 

Disappointing all round really. 

Options
2020-01-17 02:14:35

@Tucker 

When BT hub works in router mode, even though the wifi function has been disabled, the wired connection still works; that is to say, the devices connected to the BT hub by wired cable still are managed by the BT hub, not the Deco; we make the wireless devices to be controlled by Deco with BT hub wifi feature off; And the speed will be affected due to the double NAT. 

You can contact the tech support of the BT hub to verify whether it supports bridge mode; 

If not, you can connect the Deco to the internet source if it is ethernet cable connected and set it up as the main router, the BT hub can be set as an access point mode; then all the devices will be controlled by Deco. And you can test the actual speed you can get. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-17 16:23:11

@Kevin_Z 

If I am to set up the deco as the router and the bt hub as an access point, how do I have it wired? 

Removing the dsl from the hub seems to send it into reset mode. 

Options
2020-01-19 03:39:01

@Tucker 

If the HUB connects to the internet source by wired cable, then we can setup Deco as the main router and HUB as access point, while cause it is DSL connection and there is no DSL port on the Deco, we cannot remove the hub and connect the Deco to the DSL line directly.

Have you ever tried to contact the tech support of the hub? As far as I know, the DSL modem router supports bridge mode, like our Archer VR600. If so you can change it to bridge mode and use Deco as main router; otherwise, you can disable the wifi function on hub and connect all devices, including wireless devices and wired devices  to the Deco, or you can setup Deco as access point, then the devices will be controlled by the hub.

May it help. 

Options