Deco M9+ 2.4Ghz performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-14 01:58:14
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.12

I just bought a set of 3 Deco M9+ last week and was planning to replace the adged Apple Airport extreme.  THe setup was easy amd it works generally but released my IP camera was not working properly after the replacement.  The IP camera only works on 2.4 Ghz band (IEEE802.11b/g/n)

I reverted my setup and everything was back to normal.

After some testing of changing location, isloation (removing all AP execpt 1 Decp M9 plus with less than 5 meters from the IP camera), it seems that the 2.4Ghz was not working properly with the following observation

Setup

1 AP only 

5 meter away form IP camera

AP connected to ISP router via ethernet cable

Apple Airport extreme

Ping test average less than 20ms (with and without video streaming to PC)

Deco M5

Same perfromance with Apple Airport extreme

Deco M9+

Ping test average less than 60ms without video streaming

Pins test average between 1000-5000ms with video streaming  and loss the admin connecction to the IP camera!

Another observation was that when I switch on another Apple Airport extreme somewhere 10 meter away with reflective glass door in between, the IP camera will than switch and try connect to the Airport extreme instead of the M9+ which is nearer and with no obstacle in between.  This does not happen to the Deco M5.

would appriciate any advise of help on this issue.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M9+ 2.4Ghz performance
2020-01-14 07:32:48

@FoongWai 

Hello, do you use the Deco M5 and Deco M9 plus together? If so, please tell me the current network diagram and how do they connect to each other. 

With IP camera connected to the 2.4GHz, please disable fast roaming on the Deco app and turn off mesh technology to give it a go. And you can setup a static IP for the IP camera and verify whether it becomes better. 

When you did the ping test with video streaming, can other devices get internet from the Deco M9 plus? What is the led status of all Deco units at that time? 

Note: Please show us a screenshot of the ping test page.

Besides, you can swap the location of the Deco or change the slave Deco to main Deco. 

If the Deco works in router mode, you can set up application as streaming and add the IP camera into high priority list. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-14 16:39:47

@Kevin_Z Yes, I have both the M5 and M9+

The M5 was used on the roof top terrace (technically 4th floor but open air and housed in water proof box) and while the M9+ was used on the first floor.  The AP cannot 'see' each other between the floors and was connected via ethernet. I got 2 M9+ on the first floor, one indoor and the other one in the car poach with a glass door in between.  For the test, I took the m5 from the roof and place it in the car poach for testing.  All the APs were on ethernet connection.

I have read many other support document but the app interface shared was different from what I see.  I read somewhere that you can selective disable mash for client but was not available on my app.  I also cannot see which client was connected to which AP if I use any of the m9+ node as the main node.  When I set the m5 as the main node, I could see the client connected to the m5 (but not the switch to enable/disable mash for that client as mentioned on other support doc) but cannot see the client list for the m9+.   Basically, most of the support document is not helping as I could not see those settings and information for the m9+ node.

Options
2020-01-14 16:45:07

@Kevin_Z 

This is the screen on the M5 used in the car poach, cannot see how the node was connected to the internet and no options for the clients

Below is the app screen for the m9+, totally no info

Options
2021-01-16 08:36:53

@FoongWai Hey there, sorry, I'm just another user and can't really help, but is the 2.4ghz network fine on your Deco M5? I wonder if it's worth purchasing one

Options