Slow download speed TP-551

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-10 02:08:05
Region : Netherlands

Model : TL-PA551KIT

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 500A-5-2-5233-02-968-20120209-FINAL-B

ISP : Ziggo

Hi All,

I just bought this kit. It is working.
The powerline utility says somewhat between 43Mbps I can get as speed between both adapters.
On the other side of my property I connected a switch directly to the powerline adapter as I want to connect by cable several computers.
When testing Internet speed (speedtest.net) I only get between 10-15Mbps, this is download speed.
Upload speed is more or less OK, the same when testing on a computer directly connected to my modem (which gives almost 120Mbps as download speed).
I tried two different types of switches (Linksys / D-Link). I tried wired and wireless.
No difference is noted.

My question is. If the utility says I can get 43Mbps.
Why can it be I never get this speed?

Cables are all now and CAT5 or higher.

Like to know your comments.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Slow download speed TP-551
2013-01-10 10:39:40
How about the speed when you try to download something by P2P download software ?
Options
2013-01-10 14:45:09
I changed my setup a bit. Now where my primary powerline is located (next to cable modem) I connected all local power need to the passthrough power outlet of the powerline plug.
It boosted the speed considerably
I can get up to 27Mbps download now.
Still it is 3-4 less as now noted as possible speed by the Powerline Utilty >75Mbps.
I still would like to know if this is normal or if I still can optimize further
Options
Same problem
2013-01-11 03:11:45
Hi I'm experiencing the same problem.
I've had an sitecom plug set wich provedes 20 mb while it has to be 60.
Bought a tp-link set 511 (500mb ) and now i can't get above 6 mb.
Changed cabel set me to 3 mb.
I've installed the tp-link utillity and i can find my two plugs but also an other 200mb plug.
I've made a new power group wicht provedes both of the plugs but this also ditn't help.
my isp als o is Ziggo

Options
2013-01-11 12:54:23
Hi,
I have a TL-PA411KIT (also a 500mbps powerline adapter) and I have the same issue with slow speeds between 2 devices. I think I have narrowed down the issue to the distance that the signal has to travel between the 2 powerline devices.

Ideally, I need my 2 devices on separate circuits on opposite sides of my house. I did some tests using a free piece of software called "iperf". With this setup of about 80-100 ft between the devices, on separate circuits, I don't get more than 1mbps. Keep in mind, this is the speed between 2 computers on the same internal network.

When I have the 2 devices in the same room, approximately 10 ft apart, on the same circuit, I get about 100mbps.

The product is advertised to work up to 300 meters (984 ft) so I don't know why the reason for the slow speeds in real-world usage. I'm submitting an email to TP-Link's technical support team after this reply. I'll let you know if I get an answer.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 767

Replies: 4