TL-PA9020P AV2000 - MAC Address Timeout

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-23 09:38:22
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have a few of these PoE adapters in my house extending the network and providing wired connectivity for access points back to my router/firewall. I have been experiencing an issue which I believe I have traced back to how these dual port EoP devices handle the moving of a MAC address between their ports.

I have two access points, each connected to a seperate port on the same EoP adapter. This design has specific requirements for my network so I am not looking to redesign this approach. What I have noticed is that when my laptop switches between these two access points it loses some LAN connectivity. For example, it can no longer ping the default gateway on the new network even though I can see from a debug on my firewall the ICMP pings are reaching the firewall and replies are being sent.

I have set up some SPAN/monitor ports on a switch to troubleshoot this is in detail and found that the ICMP pings and their replies are seen on the EoP adapter next to the firewall (i.e. the ping makes is across the EoP network and the reply is sent back on to the EoP network). Another SPAN however shows that this ping reply does not make it back to the access point the laptop is now connected to.

Now here is where I become sure it is due to how the EoP adapter handles the move of a MAC address. If I connect to the first access point and everything is working and then connect the laptop to the second access point and being pinging, those pings fail until such time that I physically disconnect the first access point from the EoP adapter, forcing the EoP adapter to 'unlearn' the MAC address on that port and send the replies to the second access port. Everything then starts working.

So, normally with a switched device (as opposed to a hub) which this seems to be, the device should learn when a MAC address moves to a different port on the device and update the MAC address table to send traffic to the host off the new port. This does not seem to be happening with these devices unless the interface the MAC address was first learnt on goes down. There is probably a timeout of some form happening as I have noticed during testing that sometimes things just started working but it was some time after the laptop had moved to the second port so the EoP adapter does not seem to be updating its MAC table when the device moves from one port to another.

Can someonone at TP-Link advise how this issue could be addressed.

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-PA9020P AV2000 - MAC Address Timeout
2020-01-29 01:35:35

Shame there hasn't been a response from TP-Link regarding this. I have done further testing and can see that even one full hour after moving the laptop between access points connected to the different ports on the EoP adapter, network connectivity is still failing i.e. if there is a timeout for MAC addresses it is something more than one hour.

After an hour of failed pings, as soon as I disconnect the access point the laptop was originally connected to from the EoP adapter the laptop can then communicate on the network. I see no other explaination for this other than the EoP adapter holding an entry in its MAC address table for the for laptop on the wrong port.

While situation may seem like an edge case I can also see situations where this could happen with wired connects where the EoP adapter is connected to switches on both ports and a device is moved from one switch to another. In this case, like mine, the interface on the EoP adapter does not go down but the MAC address moves to a different port which would cause the same issue I have seen.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 578

Replies: 1