How to use MR600 as modem only, not router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-28 13:58:13 - last edited 2020-01-28 13:59:15
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi.

I currently have setup consisting of:

Router> Switch> wireless access point

I do not want the MR600 to handle ANY dhcp/Firewall tasks, just pass the 4G into the router.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to use MR600 as modem only, not router? (Bridge)
2020-01-29 09:41:30 - last edited 2020-01-30 09:04:25

Well, I disovered there is no Bridge mode, another negative experience.

For a product of this price, it is a disgrace it misses soo many features.

I have it working so for the time being it will do.

My current setup is:

MR600 <=======> (WAN port) Firewall appliance <=======> Switch

My firewall does everything I need and is setup with custom settings for various services for LAN and NAS etc so no way am I using the MR600 to handle routing/security of my network.

Changed MR600 to an IP address not conlifcting with the firewall. In this instance 192.168.100.100
Disabled DHCP on the MR600.

When connected the MR600 to the firewall, it allocated the Firewall 192.168.100.101 even though dhcp disabled.

On the MR600, Advanced settings, NAT Forwarding> DMZ

I added the 192.168.100.101 (The firewall appliance) to the DMZ and enabled. I obviously need ALL traffic going to the firwall. The firewall will take care of everything and regarding security, it will do a better job than the MR600.

ALL NAT features under NAT forwarding are disabled. ALL ALG (Application Layer Gateway filters) are disabled and disabled UPnP. Again, this will be handled by the firewall.

ALL Security/Firewall settings are disabled.

After a reboot,it stopped working and had to enable DHCP again so am now double natting.

The MR600 is working for the most part as a bridge and I have not encountered any problems as yet.

Why though could TP-Link just now offer "Bridging" as a mode? Did they feel bridging was too advanced for a "home" product?

I understand this is a "Home" use product but the price is far from such and this is one of those devices which will crossover from home and SOHO so they really should pay a little more attention in my opinion. First time I have ever been disappointed with a TP-Link product.

I hope the first firmware update addresses many of the niggles this device as but time will tell I guess.

Options
Re:How to use MR600 as modem only, not router?
2021-02-27 18:16:01

Unbelievable.....

Not professional at all.

TP-Link WAKE UP.

Add the goddamn bridge as function ?!

Bought MR-600 today... Aaaaaaaaand it's going back to store tomorrow.

Changing it to some other brand that makes networking hardware that work as networking hardware.

Greetings from Finland

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 5465

Replies: 2

Related Articles