Seperate 2.4g and 5 G network ids

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-01 06:44:54

I have recently purchased 3 m4's. I am disappointed to find that I cannot have two seperate network id's. One for 2.4 and on for 5g. I only use the 2.4ghz network for my smart home devices and would like a second 5ghz network for phones, TVs and computers. Forums from July '19 said this feature would become available in the next firmware update. When is that update coming out?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Seperate 2.4g and 5 G network ids
2020-02-04 06:46:50

@jacobwdowning 

Hello, to build up the mesh network, the 2.4GHz and 5GHz use the same network name and password; while there is a switch to turn on/off 2.4GHz and 5GHz respectively.

For those smart home devices which support .2.4GHz only, they can detect the 2.4GHz only; and if you want to connect some device to a fixed wifi frequency, you can connect it to the specific frequency first and then disable mesh tehcnology. Then the Deco won't suggest the client to connect to different wifi band.

May it help.

Options
2020-02-04 14:43:30

@Kevin_Z 

While I understand what you are saying, this is a very poor solution.  The fact that the software can already control whether 2.4 or 5 is on for both the main network and the guest network means the technology is already inherent in the device to have two seprate main networks, one 2.4 and one 5g.  You have many customers asking for the feature for a reason.  We want to assure that only devices we want on a 5g signal will be on it.  Please make this feature avaialbe.  

Options
2020-02-04 15:44:18
In addition support of this feature, on my Macbook Pro the device auto selects 2.4ghz despite their being a 5ghz available due to some Apple algorithm however this could easily be overcome with separate wifi. In addition, various features had been mentioned in an updated firmware which hasn't seen a release since June 19. Final point on this too the country code in wifi (option click on mac wifi symbol) shows country to be DE, due to wifi regulations in countries including DFE this should be set to the country the device is in and could be causing numerous issues despite DE and UK having similar standard - please can someone reply to one of my post on when the new FW will come out to address a not fit for purpose device!!! disappointed in what has previously been a solid offers from tplink.
Options
2021-10-15 21:31:13

Phase1 wrote

In addition support of this feature, on my Macbook Pro the device auto selects 2.4ghz despite their being a 5ghz available due to some Apple algorithm however this could easily be overcome with separate wifi. In addition, various features had been mentioned in an updated firmware which hasn't seen a release since June 19. Final point on this too the country code in wifi (option click on mac wifi symbol) shows country to be DE, due to wifi regulations in countries including DFE this should be set to the country the device is in and could be causing numerous issues despite DE and UK having similar standard - please can someone reply to one of my post on when the new FW will come out to address a not fit for purpose device!!! disappointed in what has previously been a solid offers from tplink.

The WiFi 5.G is broken@Phase1 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 830

Replies: 4

Related Articles