Deco M9 Plus MAC adress for public IP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-03 21:29:38 - last edited 2020-02-03 21:32:47
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.10 Build 20190809 Rel. 54285

Hello. I have now my 3 pieces of the Deco M9 Plus set up at home. My primary Deco, as router, is directly connected to my ISP outlet with ethernet cable. The other two Deco M9 Plus are  connected in star formation. I have disabled IPv6.
Now, my ISP offers me two public IP adresses and for that they need the MAC adress of one of my computers and the other MAC adress id the one of my M9 Plus router.
With the MAC adress of my computer I can connect my computer directly to my ISP outlet just in case my router would break down.

With the ethernet MAC adress of my Deco M9 Plus router I now want my Deco M9 Plus directly connected to ISP outlet and have the second public IP-adress that my ISP offers to me dedicated to my M9 Plus router.

Now I have the following problem: my ISP does not recognise the MAC-adress labled on the bottom of my M9 Plus but instead a second MAC-adress that only differs on the last position of the stated MAC-adress.

Let's say the given MAC-adress is aa-bb-cc-dd-ee-1C then my ISP recognises aa-bb-cc-dd-ee-2C instead. Only the very last part of the MAC adress is different.

My question now is: does the M9 Plus have two physical eternet MAC-adresses? What MAC-adress should I tell my ISP to dedicate to my offered public IP-adress? Please advise me with som help on this!

Thanks in sdvance for your help.

/jannek999

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus MAC adress for public IP
2020-02-05 12:03:25

@Jannek999 

From the website photos there are 2 Ethernet ports on the M9, like the M5.  In which case you probably have the MAC address from the other one.  Swap the cable over and see if that works.   MAC addresses are typically allocated in series, so I would expect two adaptors on the same device to differ only in the last part.  BTW:  Decos automatically determine which is inside (LAN) interface and which is outside (WAN).

It’s worth noting that on the current M5 firmware you can set the WAN port to an arbitrary MAC address if you wish.  I presume the same is either on the M9 or will be next update.   The function is called Clone MAC.  It’s intended for ISPs who only let you register one MAC address, so you can swap your PC and router without telling them. You might find it useful some time if your ISP continues to limit you to registered MACs..

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus MAC adress for public IP
2020-02-05 18:45:40

@ajharvey 

Thank you very much for this answer. You're right. Thank's a lot!

/jannek999

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1731

Replies: 2