WPA271 working fine, but now have 2 wifi networks in the house.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-13 01:21:12
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WPA271KIT

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have set up the WPA271 successfully. However I have 2 wifi networks now. Moving my netbook from the study to the living room means that I want to pick up the Powerline wifi which has a stronger signal and vice versa. I would like this to happen automatically. How can I get my netbook to pick up the strongest wifi signal?
Options
3 Reply
Re:WPA271 working fine, but now have 2 wifi networks in the house.
2013-01-13 10:00:54
They have the same SSID and wireless channel ? If not, try it.
Options
2013-01-13 10:01:32
They have the same SSID and wireless channel and security password ? If not, try it.
Options
2013-01-16 06:48:43
If you are using Windows, there is an option in each wireless connection to tell Windows to release the connection if there is a stronger connection in range.
When setting up I would advise using a different SSID - that way you can tell which wifi connection you are using. Only when you know things are working well is it worth trying to use the same SSID.
Similar with the channels. Download inSSIDer and use that to choose a "free" channel (one with minimal other nearby WiFi signals), remembering you need to be 4 channels away from your other box. Channels 1, 5, 9 & 13 are the 4 to choose from, though WiFi N uses 2 adjacent ones. Your WPA271 only needs 1 channel.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 496

Replies: 3