DECO M4 WITH CABLE MESH QUESTION

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-14 08:51:14 - last edited 2020-02-17 03:13:54

Good morning

This is the diagramm  of my network and I have some questions to go shopping.

I want to buy 2 decos M4 and want to connect them to my switch. Unit 1 first floor Unit 2 ground floor. Both will be in AP MODE so the router does all the work. (dhcp, unbound-dns, firewall, adblock. tplink router with openwrt) <-------- NO WiFi

Both decos will be wired to the switch (lan 1 deco 1 - lan 2 deco 2)

With this setup the 2 decos will have some mix / roll at dns / dhcp level;

With this setup I will have the desired mesh wifi;

I ask these questions because I've read some problems with ethernet backhaul and dhcp when decos are in ap mode

PS: or even without switch...   modem ----> router--->  2 decos
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DECO M4 WITH CABLE MESH QUESTION-Solution
2020-02-17 03:12:47 - last edited 2020-02-17 03:13:54

@Arthour 

Thanks for your information. 

First, you can connect them like the network diagram you attached. 

And in AP mode, the advanced features are not supported anymore, like parental control, QoS. And it won't work as the DHCP server; instead, it supports smart DHCP; once it detects that there is another DHCP server, it will be disabled automatically, vice versa. The mesh network still works in AP mode. 

@RedRoger Theoretically, the ethernet backhaul has higher priority than wifi backhaul; As for your issue, we will do further analysis and try to figure it out. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:DECO M4 WITH CABLE MESH QUESTION
2020-02-14 15:01:21

@Arthour I have similar configuration with 3 Decos M4 in AP mode. No problems with dhcp, dns, nat. Mash WiFi is working. The only problem (if it is a problem) that it seems there no priority between eth and wifi connection between two m4 decos. If your Decos will be close enough to communicate each other by wifi, then if you (for example) reboot switch or router, that is installed between Decos and thus they lose eth connection, they move to wifi link to communicate each other and don't return back to eth even after eth connection fiscally restored...

Options
2020-02-14 15:12:05

@RedRoger 

Good afternoon RedRoger and thank you for the answer

You explain it clearly and understand exactly. The only question that comes up is how decos after a router restart or power outaget can go back to the original setup. (perhaps manually?) Need an initial quick setup again?

Options
2020-02-14 15:31:38

@Arthour no, if reboot slave Deco, initially when starting it connects to the main Deco via eth. So simply you need to reboot your slave Deco

Options
2020-02-14 15:42:03

@RedRoger  Ok then . This is not big problem. Thanks again !!!

Options
Re:DECO M4 WITH CABLE MESH QUESTION-Solution
2020-02-17 03:12:47 - last edited 2020-02-17 03:13:54

@Arthour 

Thanks for your information. 

First, you can connect them like the network diagram you attached. 

And in AP mode, the advanced features are not supported anymore, like parental control, QoS. And it won't work as the DHCP server; instead, it supports smart DHCP; once it detects that there is another DHCP server, it will be disabled automatically, vice versa. The mesh network still works in AP mode. 

@RedRoger Theoretically, the ethernet backhaul has higher priority than wifi backhaul; As for your issue, we will do further analysis and try to figure it out. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-02-21 06:47:08

Hi,

I have a further question on this design : let's say up DECO is principal. When a client is connect to bottom one, traffic will go back to the "gigabit switch" and then it will go straight to open router and modem, or will it go to the up DECO then come back to gigabit switch and them open router and modem ?

in short: is traffic always going through principal DECO ? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2979

Replies: 6

Related Articles