Can't set this up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't set this up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Can't set this up
Can't set this up
2013-01-14 03:39:31
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WPA281KIT

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a TL-WPA281 and a TL-PA211

The TL-PA211 is connected downstairs to my ADSL modem router with a supplied ethernet cable..
The TL-WPA281 is connected to my PC (Realtek motherboard RJ45 connection) upstairs via the ethernet cable which was also supplied.

I have followed the guide to the best of my knowledge but still cant get the internet to work.

I'll show a picture of what I have so far.

(I've blocked out the MAC address and password)

The MAC address's and password are exactly what is stamped on the physical units themselves. (top MAC in the picture is the TL-PA211)
My internet does work aswelll as I am using the wireless on my router. I just thought getting this kit would help keep the signal stable.

Here's another picture of my wireless working but my local failing via the tp-link.

I have noticed that if I disable my Wireless Belkin connection (which only has antennas) the TL-Pa211 Powerline Utility says it can't detect any devices.

Also I have connected my netbook directly to the router with the same ethernet cable and it connects straight away.

I am starting to think that the two powerlines aren't connected to each other at all and are just piggybacking off the wireless belkin connection.......or something :P

I would very grateful if someone could help.
Options
6 Reply
Re:Can't set this up
2013-01-15 14:31:41
Put the two adapters in the same room. And pair them. http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=258
is the powerline light on?
Options
2013-01-16 00:45:16
Hi there, thanks for your reply.

Yes I have tried the same room with a laptop and I get the same results. All 3 lights are on before and after I press the pair buttons.
Options
2013-03-13 11:09:16
Im having the same issue. I paired the 2 adapters (Model No. TL-PA4010KIT) and all looks good. But I get no internet connection and the same message you are getting in the picture above - "Unidentified Network" and "No Network Access" - what more can I do to resolve this?
Options
2013-03-13 11:22:34
and also - when I have DHCP enabled - it seems like it is bypassing the wireless router and retrieving an IP address from my cable modem.......everything else looks good - but since there is an issue and I run the Troubleshooting tool called Windows Netowrk Diagnotics - it says "Problems found: Local Area Conncetion doesnt have a valid IP configuration - Not Fixed"

What do I do to resolve this?
Options
2013-03-22 00:09:16
I have the same/similar problem and if I don't hear from TP-Link soon I'm going to return the product as it's useless at present. When I try to connect to my switch (D-Link 24 port attached to a Netgear router which handles DCHP) the IP address on the TP-Link gets reset to 169.254.107.65 with a snm of 255.255.0.0. I get why it would do this as the default setting of the TP-Link is the same as my Netgear (the DHCP router/server). Other posts have suggested changing the TP-Link IP address to something outside the range of the DHCP server but when I try this, it appears to work in the TP-Link configuration settings but when it reboots it comes back with the same IP address (169.254.107.65) and SNM. I have tried just changing the SNM but that doesn't work either.
Options
2013-03-22 11:36:34
The IP address of the of the TL-WPA281 is not a fixed one, Scanned by the Powerline Scan utility, the adapter will be given an IP addres within the same subnet as the PC in order to match each other, since the PC does not have a valid IP address, the adapter will change it own IP address to match the PC.
The powerline light which looks like a house indicates the connection between the adapters. Make sure they are on just as bright as the top one. if not, I suggest you to plug them into the same room to check, and then give a try to pair them up until the house light is on brightly.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 786

Replies: 6

Related Articles