Deco 5 Placement Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-17 11:15:41
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

How can I best measure whether the Deco 5 is in the right place.

With three Deco 5's positioned around the house, I get good signal strength and performance from them all. 

But if I open up hub C it is connected to the main hub A but with only 1 bar. What impact does only 1 bar have? Will it slow down internet to clients connected to hub C.

Hub B is connected to hub A by Ethernet cable.

If I move hub C it connects to  hub B rather than hub A with 2 bars and the number of clients on hub C reduces significantly as does signal strength to remaining clients (although still strong)

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco 5 Placement Questions
2020-03-18 02:02:21

@StefanJ 

For your information, the slave Deco will choose the front-end Deco based on the signal strength it gets and the number of hops between itself and the main Deco. If the signal strength does not reach the threshold value triggering the band/ap steering, the slave Deco will connect to the main Deco directly to avoid the additional hop. 

And the signal strength and actual performance relate to the actual network environment. May I know what is the speed you can get from hub C when it is connected to the hub A directly with 1 bar? And what about the connection stability? Besides, is there any changes after it is connected to the hub B with 2 bars? 

Usually, it is suggested to use the wifi analyzer to scan the signal strength from the main Deco and choose a good location for the slave ones. And you can adjust them slightly to get the best location. 

Best regards. 

Options
2020-03-18 08:51:55 - last edited 2020-03-18 10:11:34

@Kevin_Z thanks your reply. Could you clarify how I should test the speed from hub c?

Options
2020-03-19 02:10:12

@StefanJ 

You can connect your computer to the hub C by wired cable first to test the speed; or you can connect some wireless device to the hub Cby wireless to verify the speed. 

Note: You can get the linked Deco info on Deco app. 

Options
2020-03-20 10:33:48

@Kevin_Z Hi Kevin, what software should I use on my laptop or android tablet to test the speed?

Options
2020-03-23 01:38:31 - last edited 2020-03-23 01:39:37

@StefanJ 

Like Speedtest®. There are many similar Softwares available nowadays, you can give it a go. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1394

Replies: 5

Related Articles