Wifi speed slower than LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-20 10:15:54 - last edited 2020-03-20 10:19:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1

My internet has been upgrades to 1Gb, I have a Deco M5 mesh, in both modem and router modes, the incoming speed to Deco is also 1Gb tested with the app, and the speed I can get with my computer ethernet is 1Gb but the Wifi speed is at it best 500Mb, I am using various devices to test the speed including HP Windows 10, iohone 11, etc... is this a linitation with Deco M5 or is there something I can do? Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:Wifi speed slower than LAN
2020-03-20 12:31:48

@Niceguys It seems that you don't understand how wireless bands works, no offense. 

When comparing two equivalent devices - cable and wireless, cable connections will be always faster than wireless no matter how you put the wireless sender and the wireless receiver at a few inches/centimeters of distance, both very close to each other I mean.

Deco M5 has a wireless nominal speed of 400 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 867 Mbps on 5 GHz bands. However, these are the nominal speed. Even working with Cisco and Unifi APs I never get the full nominal speed. I'm pretty sure you're achieving awesome results with 500 Mbps.

That said, theoretically you will achieve at max 867 Mbps when  connected through 5 Ghz network OR when connected through a cabled device in a Deco M5 that is not the main Deco (the one connected to your Internet router).

Options
2020-03-20 13:32:58
Thanks, I understand, but I cannot explain the huge difference in speed between the ethernet 1Gb and the 5GHZ 350 Mb with my iphone next to the main Deco plugged in directly into the VM 4.0 router
Options
2020-03-20 14:48:04

@Niceguys well, you'll never achieve 1 Gbps with your Deco M5 wireless. Period. Do not compare ethernet with Wifi, it's like comparing oranges with alligators. In the other hand you can compare speeds among your Deco and other 5 Ghz wifi routes, this would be a fair comparison.

There are so many variables for the fact you're getting 350 Mbps with your iPhone that I cannot explain in a single post. But I can advise you to upgrade yours Deco M5's firmwares to the latest available.

Also try to disable 2.4Ghz in the Deco app - just to be sure you're connecting to the 5 Ghz network. Not all devices are 5Ghz compatible and in theory you can be connected to the 2.4 Ghz band as you're below the nominal speed of 400 Mbps.

Bottom line is that you probably will not get more than 500 or 600 Mbps on 5 Ghz with your current Deco setup neither with the most advanced Cisco / Unifi / Asus / Google / Whatever brand or device you choose.

Options
2020-03-23 03:35:27

@Niceguys 

Hi like @Adami said, the wired is always faster than wireless connection cause the interferences on wifi, like distance, obstacles, and other wireless devices or electrical devices. And except the wifi sender, the capability of the wireless receiver also matters. 

Theoretically, the actually wireless speed is about 60% of the wireless negotiation speed on your device, you can try those methods provided to test the speed and verify whether it will become higher. 

Best regards. 

Options
2020-03-23 06:27:04 - last edited 2020-03-23 07:14:54

@Kevin_Z jyst to put things in perspective, with exactly the same setup, router mode, 4 Deco M5 wired in a chain, with a 350 Mb Virgin package I was getting 350 Mb on ethernet and 300 Mb on Wifi, bow with 1Gb package I am getting 1Gb on ethernet and mostly 350 Mb on Wifi. Sounds like a Deco M5 limitations to me.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1348

Replies: 5

Related Articles