Does Deco E4 (E4R) support full 802.11 k/v/r ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-26 09:03:51
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20190917 Rel. 75120

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Deco E4 supports full 802.11 k/v/r standard or not?

I've bought 6 packs of E4 in my house and now using 5 packs of them. When I'm using some VoIP apps like LINE or Wechat talking with my friends, if I move to another location that will switch to another E4, but phone voice ALWAYS stopped. The app won't show disconnect but there's no sound coming from my friends and my voice cannot transfer to them either.

I'm pretty sure that my movement path is under full deco coverage, all decos are not seperated very far. Three of them have ethernet backhaul. My phone device is iPhone 8 Plus and we have two different iPhone 8 Plus have same symptom.

I know the official product page does not mention it, but before I bought this product, I've sent several emails to sales.usa@tp-link.com, Support.USA@tp-link.com, Support.SMB@tp-link.com to consult if Deco E4 supports 802.11 k/v/r, but no one reply the email at all.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Does Deco E4 (E4R) support full 802.11 k/v/r ?
2020-03-27 02:35:16

@Daniel_Lien 

Hello, the Deco E4 supports 802.11k/v/r. And you need to enable fast roaming to turn on 802.11r. 

I checked our email system and I found that my colleague replied to you on 11th March. Except the VOIP apps, what about other network activities, like browsing, downloading? Do you have the same issue?

And may I know what is the current network diagram? And how far away between them? 

Try to swap the locations of the Deco units, and you can add the device using VoIP apps into device priority list on Deco app. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-27 08:07:44

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for reply.

I didn't receive the email. Anyway, I did enable the 'Fast Roamin' when all Decos are established at the very beginning before other end devices join the network. (I also tried to forget the network and rejoin the network as well)

The ATU-R my ISP provided has internal PPPoE function, so I uses 'Access Point' mode only, so I'm afraid there's no priority option for VoIP devices.

I simplified the diagram as below:

There's no problem when browsing web pages as expected since it doesn't need continuing data transfer.

I just tried big data download using my laptop (Win10 Enterprise 1909 with Intel AC 9560 card), and I go around in the house, most of time the FTP download will timeout 20 seconds when switching to another Deco. Sometimes it can continue downloading without interuption but most of time it will timeout and client will need to re-establish the new connection.

All Decos are not far away. The position of 'Daniel's room'(2F) is on the top of the '1F-router side'(1F), and the 'Brian's room'(3F) is on the top of 'Daniel's room'(2F). All three Decos are nearby the window so I believe the signal should be no problem.

The other two Decos 'Mom's room' and 'Liviing room' are a little bit far but I still believe it's not the big problem. Also, when switching between '1F-router side'(1F), 'Daniel's room'(2F) and 'Brian's room'(3F), the issue still exists. And the interuption always occurs when I'm closing to another Deco. So signal strength is not the problem.

Is it possible a bug in 'Access Point' mode? Or something wrong when using ethernet backhaul? Thanks!

BR,

Daniel Lien

Options
2020-03-30 15:42:12

@Kevin_Z 

Any thoughts? 

Options
2020-03-31 10:31:22

@Daniel_Lien

I think you misplaced the Main Deco. Take a look at my picture. The main deco has two ports, connect one to the ATU-R and the other one to your internal netwerk.:

Options
2020-04-01 12:58:43

@MarcNL 

Hi, as I said I use access point mode only. I don't need router mode since my ATU-R already has PPPoE function. Currently all connection works fine until I move location from one to another.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1260

Replies: 5

Related Articles