TP-Link OneMesh™ VS Deco Mesh: What's the Difference?

TP-Link OneMesh™ VS Deco Mesh: What's the Difference?

56 Reply
Re:TP-Link OneMesh™ VS Deco Mesh: What's the Difference?
2021-11-28 09:19:51

@bd134 I am able to use the OneMesh with RE505x and MR600, although on the RE505x is says its not compatible, it was recognize on the MR600.  So far the roaming function is good.

Options
2022-01-13 08:43:10

@JDC So in fact you're NOT using both.... You switched off the wifi of the roiuter (which is the Onemesh device) and only use deco....

Options
2022-01-13 08:51:24

@TijnK 

I am using both devices (I use the Archer as the router to reserve IP addresses, for example), but I am only using the Deco for wireless.

Options
2022-01-14 10:53:15
Agree, I doubled down on the TP-link ecosystem without a doubt it's compatible. I now have both stacks which I can't integrate.
Options
2022-01-21 06:21:32

@TP_TechWriter 

Hi, thanks for the write up.  Still some questions about their differences.

For OneMesh:
(1) Will OneMesh create multiple SSID for every extenders? That is, does client device needs to connect/use different SSID to connect if device is moving from extender A to extender B)?

(2) Does extenders cut effective transmission bandwidth into half since the extender needs to communicate with client device wirelessly and then communicate with main router wirelessly also?

(3) Is there a "total devices OneMesh can connect" for OneMesh? Is this number limited by the router no matter how many extenders I have?

For DecoMesh:

(4) Can I create a Deco Mesh with 5 nodes in following way? First one as the "main" ( is there still a main node? )  Set up "node 1" wirelessly linking to "main" and ethernet backhull linking to "node 2." In the mean time, set up "node 3" wirelessly linking to "main" and again ethernet backhull linking to "node 4." Is this possible?

(5) I wanna two networks available throughout all the Deco Mesh, one as the main SSID, and another as guest SSID.  Are they both available on all 5 nodes all the time? Dose the "total client devices one Deco Mesh can support" mean the sum of both networks or the max are per SSID?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Options
2022-02-03 08:04:10

@TP_TechWriter can you please tell me the pros and cons of both? Which one would give me a better and fast connection considering I go with the same wifi standard for both (for example, AX1800)?

I am thinking that a good router with a good extender would give me better performance as the router is huge and has external antennas etc. whereas the deco router is small, has less number of internal antennas but I am just guessing here. A professional advice would very much appreciated.

Options
General Discussion
2022-03-03 20:21:44

https://www.reddit.com/r/thebatmanstreams/new/

https://www.reddit.com/t5x8rf/

Options
2022-04-12 12:16:31

@JDC 

I feel you. I'm here researching ways to upgrade my existing network of x60s. I wish I had known how restricted they were when I bought into them. I was hoping an archer could act as a main hub for them  I guess my research is done. I'll just get by with them until they're obsolete, then find a company that is more open.

Options
2022-04-12 18:49:52

@Beavis I now use a 4G SIM card in an Archer MR600 as the main router, and use an Ethernet cable to connect to a DECO M4R, with wireless connection to a second DECO M4R (3 devices). I do turn on both systems' wireless connection, but with different SSIDs such that I can tell which wi-fi system I am connecting to. I also noticed the DECO will drop signal from time to time, although it comes back quickly, it was very annoying when playing an online game. I had not observed a similar issue with Archer MR600. Before using a 4G SIM card as input, I was able to use the Archer MR600 as a regular router that connects to the Internet. Currently I don't have the need to extend my TP-Link OneMesh network, as I bought DECO first and MR600 months later for 4G connection and Ethernet backup. Otherwise, I might be able to run both TP-Link OneMesh and Deco Mesh under one roof (4 devices total), with an Ethernet cable to connect both systems. Honestly, while I think MR600 with wi-fi extender such as RE505X should be enough to satisfy my needs, but given that I bought DECO M4R first (each with 2 Ethernet ports), and all existing TP-Link wi-fi extenders have only one port, it does take some time to determine what device(s) to purchase and connect.  

Options
2022-05-13 03:31:09

@JDC Same here. I bought an Archer AX55 and DECOX20 thinking to take advantage of the processing power of the router and extending the wifi network through my home. :( One Mesh - Deco Mesh should be clarittfy everyhwere they are different thing and no compatible 

Options