TP-Link OneMesh™ VS Deco Mesh: What's the Difference?

TP-Link OneMesh™ VS Deco Mesh: What's the Difference?

56 Reply
Re:TP-Link OneMesh™ VS Deco Mesh: What's the Difference?
2022-05-29 19:51:00 - last edited 2022-05-29 19:52:14

@TP_TechWriter 

What really surprising is that when connecting a one mesh extender using cable will mean it will no longer support one mesh! 

Is this going to change anytime soon? 

Options
2022-06-04 12:23:37

@JDC Same here... now I have to return the damn thing...

Options
2022-06-04 12:26:28
Same here… now I have to return the damn thing…
Options
2022-06-15 12:31:40

@TP_TechWriter What a mess! Will this be fixed one day? Is this just a software problem? Because it definitely looks like one to me. Currently I have Decos AND the RE 550, so the RE 550 is even more useless to me than a brick, because instead of extending my mesh network, it will basically downgrade my network quality if I use it.

Options
2022-07-17 17:16:19

@JDC yes! Completely ridiculous! I've been a huge fan of TP Link - but this together with the additional cost of Homeshield has be considering other manufacturers. 

Options
2022-09-17 18:44:18 - last edited 2022-09-18 21:21:35

@TP_TechWriter 

As I understand, Tp-Link's main aim is to confuse consumers and force to buy upper/newer models they generally don't need. 

I must say, the Tp-Link products I used untill now were the worst in their price range. 

Let me give some examples:

1) Onemesh range extenders don't have ethernet backhaul and I beleive they will never have. Main reason for that is to make you buy Deco product line if you are interested in ethernet backhaul. So, what were you saying about the difference between Deco Mesh and onemesh? 

2) Routers with onemesh support can't be a node? WHY? Because as I understand then that can become a cheap and powerful solution to AP and maybe ethernet backhaul, while mesh is enabled and even an old router like C7 would be pretty fast.

3) Some of their less then three year old range extender products don't have gigabit ethernet port.  Well, that is very funny. It is not important for me, because I use that port on a 100mbit switch, then connect that switch to 3 ip cameras. 720p ip cameras generally need 4-6mbit/s bandwidth. So no problem. 

4) Tp-link's explanations, box designs are NOT good. In the onemesh devices list, there is RE305 V4. But as I understand also V3 supports onemesh. But that is not in the list. Why is that? They want you to buy brand new I guess. They think like "V3 is not sold anymore in anywhere, so why bother?" But, here is the problem: do we have to buy brand new?  Or, my friend can have one lying around, he can give me. I can check your site and can't see it in the support page... Also, they don't mention onemesh on their boxes. Why? They want you to buy new. A used one with a box would be easily spotted wether it supports onemesh or not, if it was stated on the box. AND THEY DON'T WANT THAT. For example on an Asus product, on the box it will write wether it has a mesh support or not. Ac59u v1 don't have mesh support. So on it's box it does not write anything. V2 has mesh support. On it's box it writes that it has mesh support. Simple. 

So, here is the thing Tp-link: Your way of business is a no-go for me. You won't be able to earn money through me. Asus or Netgear is far better than you guys. Sorry. I am very happy with my Asus router in my office. There is only one minor defect: ESP01 boards can't connect to ASUS routers. So, I wanted to give you a chance in my home one last time. I bought a used C7 router (your interface sucks. Just please open and look at the interface of an ASUS). And I thought RE450 had onemesh support and bought a used RE450. But no. Later I understood that, only RE450 V4 supports it. Since I bought it used for dirt cheap, no problem. I will sell it back for dirt cheap. 

Now I am in a search of a range extender that supports onemesh. I will probably buy a RE305 V3 or v4 for even cheaper, again used. Yes it is slower than RE450; but I don't care. Why? Simple. I DON'T TRUST ANY OF YOU GUYS. So I have my cable setup in my house. Therefore I don't need very fast wifi. I was never able to get the speeds you mentioned by the way. I own a T9UH usb wi-fi dongle for example. I was never able to copy files from my server to my pc with a speed that is over 600mbit. So for heavy usage (Servers, PC's etc) I allways use cat6 cable. Cheaper. Faster. Reliable. Between my main PC and my disk server, I use 2.5gbit nics. The rest is 1gbit. When I do that, speed of wifi is NOT important. It only should cover the entire area at least with 300mbit/s speed and that is it. More than 300mbit/s is not needed when you have cable connection to everything that uses the bandwith much.

So, you should try harder to convince me.  My latest experiance with Tp-Link is still same: Frustration. But this time, you did not earn any money through me and if you don't change your way of doing business, you never will able to... If I am have to, I will continue to use your products, buy some other maybe; but I will never buy brand new.  And if I am not have to, I won't be buying your products even used. 

Options
2022-09-20 02:33:53

@JDC Your internet plan is similar to mine, and you get maximum speed from all/each decos?, how far is it from the decos?

Options
2022-09-20 02:39:17

@atifak But we never know which mesh is more suitable for our specific requirements before trying both

Options
2022-09-20 03:44:45

@nyonyo 

Distance of Decos from the Archer is up to about 10 metres, but it is a wired connection so I don't think that matters.

There is a Deco in each room, so max distance from Deco to device is about 6 metres.

The Decos aren't great at choosing an uncongested channel so in the early hours of the morning performance can deteriorate badly. Apparently I have a neighbour who produces a lot of traffic in the early hours of the morning.

Options
2022-09-20 05:23:24

@TP_TechWriter some Decos support powerlines, but most don't, does it mean we can have ethernet backhaul through powerlines on some decos, but have to be connected purely through ethernet/LAN cables on most decos?

Options