Sonos and M9 Plus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Sonos and M9 Plus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Sonos and M9 Plus
Sonos and M9 Plus
2020-04-03 09:47:06 - last edited 2020-07-02 09:27:21
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.11

I have recently purchased a set of 3 Deco M9 Plus for my house to replace my old Wifi routers/extenders.  They have installed fine and are working except my Sonos system is not functioning correctly.  I can quite pin point what is happening but the Sonos system seems confused and Sonos devices sporadically drop off, reset or the App won't let me access the whole system - says it's offline.  I have a hardwider Sonos Beam, two Sonos Ones and a Sonos Amp.   I wondered if there were any established problems and what the solutions might be.

Thanks!

Alex

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Sonos and M9 Plus-Solution
2020-04-07 20:53:40 - last edited 2020-07-02 09:27:21

@AlexLJones 

I have the Deco M9 Plus 3 pack and 4 Sonos speakers and they are working perfectly.

The main issue that I see with your setup is your Sky Router. Iit does not have a modem or bridge mode so, in effect you have two routers in your environment which unfortunately never goes well and you will experience issues of various types including double NAT.

To stabilise things you could try running the Deco's in Access Point mode (although you lose the routing and parental control functionality), thus leaving your Sky Router to carry on routing and handling DHCP as normal. 

The other thing that might work is if one of your Sonos speakers is connected to Ethernet, it will create its own separate wifi network for the other Sonos devices to connect to.

That has in the past cured any sonos instability for me. However, with the Deco's in AP mode I havent found it necessary to do that and they are as stable as anything. I dont think the issues is with the Deco's but probably more likely a conflict with your Sky router and Deco's combined.

-- Deco X50-POE user
Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Sonos and M9 Plus
2020-04-03 10:07:17
Can you tell me more about your setup? Do you have a device acting as modem only mode and you deco m9 in router mode connect to it?
Options
2020-04-03 10:31:35

@Stefou 

Hi there! Thanks.

So I have a Sky Router which is plugged into the Main Deco by Ethernet.

Sky Router (Modem only and not used for wifi)

v   (Wired)

Main Deco  >  Switch  > Sonos Beam / Sky Q / Smart TV

v   Wired)

Second Deco > Switch > Computer / Printer / Network Drive (Apple Time Capsule)

v   (Wireless)

Third Deco

Most of the Sonos's are connected via Wifi with the exception of the Sonos Beam.

Sonos App says they're connected to the right Wifi network and it says SonosNet Channel is 11.

Thanks for your help!

Alex

Options
2020-04-03 10:40:59
the problem I think is that you have two mesh networks conflicting. The Deco One with the Sonos One. Try to change the channel on the Sonos, you have the option from 1, 6 and 11. I would suggest 11.
Options
2020-04-07 02:54:35

@AlexLJones 

Hi Alex, what about other devices? Can they access internet when the Sonos shows offline? Please check the IP address and gateway of these Sonos devices when they say offline and try to ping one's IP from the local device. Please show us the ping result. 

If it is Deco M9 plus V1, try to disable 5GHz and connect the Sonos devices to the 2.4GHz to test the stability. And you can connect the main Deco to the modem only, with slave Deco units unplugged and try to connect the Sonos devices to the main Deco directly, bypass the switch as well. 

Besides, you can disable fast roaming and turn off mesh technology to give it a shot. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-07 15:08:44

@Stefou 

My Sonos App doesn't seem to allow my to change the SonosNet Channel - it's greyed out.  It does say Channel 11 though (in grey).  Something really is a bit bonkers because whilst the internet is working perfectly the Sonos' really aren't happy.  All the Alexas in the Sonos One's have stopped working too.  Music keeps dropping out and devices still disappearing.  I've tried re-adding but they still dropout again.  Frustrating!

Options
2020-04-07 15:25:34

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

It doesn't seem to be the internet that drops out - just the Sonos'.  But it seems to still be on my list of devices connected to the internet.  It's the Deco hardware V2.

Does the Sonos operate over the Wifi or it's own mesh? Sorry I'm not the most technical of people... I know some stuff but this is well past my knowledge limit!

Thanks

Options
Re:Sonos and M9 Plus-Solution
2020-04-07 20:53:40 - last edited 2020-07-02 09:27:21

@AlexLJones 

I have the Deco M9 Plus 3 pack and 4 Sonos speakers and they are working perfectly.

The main issue that I see with your setup is your Sky Router. Iit does not have a modem or bridge mode so, in effect you have two routers in your environment which unfortunately never goes well and you will experience issues of various types including double NAT.

To stabilise things you could try running the Deco's in Access Point mode (although you lose the routing and parental control functionality), thus leaving your Sky Router to carry on routing and handling DHCP as normal. 

The other thing that might work is if one of your Sonos speakers is connected to Ethernet, it will create its own separate wifi network for the other Sonos devices to connect to.

That has in the past cured any sonos instability for me. However, with the Deco's in AP mode I havent found it necessary to do that and they are as stable as anything. I dont think the issues is with the Deco's but probably more likely a conflict with your Sky router and Deco's combined.

-- Deco X50-POE user
Recommended Solution
Options
2020-04-08 08:40:27

@Oakmeister 

Thank you so much for this!  Running the Deco's in access point mode has completely solved the issue.  It's a shame to lose some of the functions but I'd much rather have functioning system!  Out of interest, I have a Sky Router - is it possible to turn off the DHCP/NAT stuff from that and get the Deco to do this instead?  THanks again for the advice!  

Options
2020-04-08 09:37:15

@AlexLJones 

1) Log in to your Sky router IP and use your admin credentials

2) Navigate to the "Advanced" section and select "Lan IP Setup" in the menu. Find the checkbox right next to "Use Router as DHCP Server" and uncheck it. Then, hit the "Apply" button right underneath this section. Lastly, check the box next to "Disable IPv6" and hit apply underneath that section. 

3) Logout of your Sky router and reboot it by unplugging it from the power and plugging it back in.

Options
2020-12-23 16:18:52

@AlexLJones 

Alex, i have just purchased the deco m9's and have had exactly the same issue albeit with BT Wi-fi. I connected Sonos on the new wi-fi provided by the deco initially but proved unreliable with drop outs on paired speakers which provided impossible to reconcile for one stereo pair of play 1's. 

Everything else that uses wi-fi works with the M9's perfectly and these have resolved lots of issues in my property with dead wi fi zones. 

To enable you to keep the features of the M9 I can recommend connecting ethernet from one of your m9's to a nearby Sonos and it should solve the issue as then Sonos operates on its own wireless protocol (i think).

I have done this and have full functionality of both Sonos and Deco, worth atry if you havent done so already

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4716

Replies: 10

Related Articles