How to black-list URL that is NOT on the predefined list?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-04 16:56:09 - last edited 2020-04-07 07:22:11
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.12 build 20191014 Rel 42025

Hi Support,

I am trying to block several sites from my kids that are not on the pre-defined blacklist of the Deco mobile app (for my Deco M9+).

More specifically, I'm trying to block the log in of riotgames.com but I have not found a way to do this?

I can add the Game category to my kid's profile but it does not block riotgames.com and many others I want blocked.

How can I do this or at least add this URL to some black list registry of database or file somewhere? Where does the pre-defined list in the mobile app reside and how can it be changed?

Regads

Chi

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to black-list URL that is NOT on the predefined list?-Solution
2020-04-07 07:21:01 - last edited 2020-04-07 07:22:11

@ChiTsang 

Hi Chi, you can add the website which you want to block manually when you setup the parental control feature on Deco app. 

Below is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1598/ 

In Step 4, you can add riotgames.com  into black list. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:How to black-list URL that is NOT on the predefined list?-Solution
2020-04-07 07:21:01 - last edited 2020-04-07 07:22:11

@ChiTsang 

Hi Chi, you can add the website which you want to block manually when you setup the parental control feature on Deco app. 

Below is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1598/ 

In Step 4, you can add riotgames.com  into black list. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How to black-list URL that is NOT on the predefined list?
2020-04-07 16:20:20

@Kevin_Z Thank you for the reply. I had already read that manual but just tried it again and realized that you have to enter the .com extension (or any extension) before the error message dissappears. Its working now.

Thank you

Chi

Options
2020-04-07 16:56:13

@Kevin_Z Spoke too soon! It does not work. I can enter "riotgames.com" but it does not actually block it. Please try it yourself. I have tried all the variants of *.riotgames.com, riotgames.* etc but none are blocked. Similarly if I enter "youtube.com" it does not block that either. However if I enter just "youtube" without the ".com" that it can find in its predefined list, that does block youtube.com.

So does it only block sites that are in the defined list and ignore other urls added manually?

Regards

Chi

Options
2020-11-30 12:15:09

@ChiTsang yes. It can only block sites that are in the predefined list. That is so frustrating. I am not sure when they will give the ability to add URL's or phrases like any url containing *riot. It might make the speed a tad slower but its worth it.

Options