【Feature Request】Allow to set different SSID for 2.4G and 5G network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-06 15:23:02
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Deco is a good product. With my old NETGEAT router, I can only have ~150mbps wireless speed at most. With Deco M5, I can full use 300Mbps tarrif plan the ISP provided. I am very satisfied with this product, except one thing that I cannot forgive:

it doesn't allow me to set different SSID for 2.4G and 5G network. I really don't understand what is the logical. They even give us the option to disable/enable 2.4G and 5G radio separately; but they just don't want to give customer's option to set different SSID for 2.4G and 5G. Isn't it arrogant that they are so confident that they believe there is no any customer want to have this option?

The reason I want to have different SSID for 2.4G and 5G is simple. I want to have all my IOT devices like bulb, camera to connect to a separeted 2.4G SSID while all the my other devices use only pure 5G network to have better performance.

I hope my voice can be heard by TP-Link.

Best Wishes,

Matthew.

Options
5 Reply
Re:【Feature Request】Allow to set different SSID for 2.4G and 5G network
2020-04-07 06:23:35

@matthew.mfden 

Hi Mattew, to build up the mesh network, the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network use the same network name and password. And yes, there is a toggle to turn on/off 2.4GHz or 5GHz, that is because some customers want to use the single band only. 

As for the IOT devices, you can turn off the 5GHz first and connect them to the 2.4GHz, then you can disable mesh technology on the Deco, therefore, the Deco won't recommend this device to roam between different APs/Bands. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-07 07:16:33

@matthew.mfden if you are running in AP mode, then you should be able to run your main network on 5G and your guest network on 2.4G and give them different SID's.

Options
2020-04-08 10:00:31

@Kevin_Z 

I want to have straight-forwad, simple and common solution that allowing customers to set different SSID for 2.4G and 5G.

Options
2020-04-08 10:02:48

@6b6561

thanks for your suggestion, but I cannot run it as an AP. I need to use it as router. And as I know, almost all the routers can set different SSID for 2.4G and 5G.

I hope I am not asking for something that is hard. 

Options
2020-04-09 22:00:43

@Kevin_Z 

please let me know if my feature request will be someday developed. 

Options