Deco P9 - Devices not connecting to nearest AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-07 19:01:41
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 build 20190917

Hi,

any help would be appreciated as I have currently set up a mesh network using the Deco P9's which is giving a good stable connection all round my house. I have the first P9 connected to my router (vodafone's own router) and it is router mode which is located in the living room at the front of my house.

The second P9 is located on the first floor using the powerline and is located in the nursery at which is the back of the house and the third P9 is on the second floor, and again is connected using the powerline.

My issue is that when i go towards the rear of my house my devices are not connecting to the nearest AP which would be the one on the second floor, this is causing issues with my ring sitck up cam which is located at my back door as it wants to connect to the main P9 in the living room. This gives it a wifi signal strength of about -68dBm and so this classes as poor signal and causes it to not work correctly. Where as if it was to connect to the second P9 which is located near the window in the room above it it would give a better strength signal of about -45dBm or better.

Is this just an issue with the P9 or does the signal need to drop to a certain strength before it does a handover to the nearest AP. 

The app does not give many options in to potentially solving this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco P9 - Devices not connecting to nearest AP
2020-04-08 03:13:33

@Eddinho 

For your information, as long as the signal strength obtained from one Deco reaches the threshold value triggering the band/ap steering, the device will switch to other wifi band or Deco nodes, in the meantime. if the signal strength is fine, it may connect to the main Deco or the first slave Deco to reduce the hop. 

From what you described, it seems that the signal strength got from the furthest Deco does not reach the threshold value, you can adjust their locations or move them further away from each other to give it a go. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2381

Replies: 1