Connecting to far Deco, instead of near one

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Connecting to far Deco, instead of near one

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
13 Reply
Re:Connecting to far Deco, instead of near one
2021-08-16 06:56:46

I have the same issue with the M9 Plus. The third note often connects to the main node which is a significant distance away and barely has any signal strength. Is there not anything that can be done to force the third node to connect to the nearer second node? I hear rumors that this facility may be included in a firmware upgrade but no idea when or even if this will happen. Can anyone help? Thanks

Options
2022-01-10 17:22:26

Same issue here. 

Today our fibre internet was upgraded to 1Gbit/s. Main Deco M9 was on the 2nd floor connected to the modem downstairs, but couldn't get it above 70Mbit/s, so I assumed/presumed that the cable which was installed might ben a very old one (it was installed 16 years ago when we moved in). So moved this Deco to near the modem with a brand new cable, giving 700Mbit/s down and 900Mbit/s up, which is quite OK. Moved a Deco M9 to the second floor and a Deco M5 to the 3rd floor to find out that this Deco M5 kept connecting with the one downstairs giving me lousy speeds. Resetted it, rebooted the stuff a few times to no avail. Finally moved the Deco M5 to the 2nd floor and the M9 to the 3rd floor and now the one on the 3rd is connecting with the one on the 2nd. But still not optimal as the M9 has a separate channel. There's another M9 in the living room (about 8 metres away from the main) and one other M5 on the 2nd floor, about 6 metres away from the other one on this floor.

Max speeds I get upstairs (even close to the Deco is 100Mbit/s).

And yes, QoS modified to use the max from the test and no high priority-devices anymore.

Options
2022-01-10 21:23:14

DikkieDick wrote

Moved a Deco M9 to the second floor and a Deco M5 to the 3rd floor to find out that this Deco M5 kept connecting with the one downstairs giving me lousy speeds. Resetted it, rebooted the stuff a few times to no avail.

@DikkieDick 

Install Deco M5 firmware 1.6 (beta) and you will have an option to configure where M5 will connect. After upgrading M5 firmware, you'll have to move M9 back to the second floor and M5 to the third floor, and make third floor M5 connect to M9 on the second floor.

See this forum thread for more about M5 firmware: Deco M5 1.6.0

Options