WR702N Connection Issue / Repeater + Bridge Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-22 21:25:00
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR702N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : TL-WR702N_V1_121123

ISP : Virgin Media

Hello,

Having an intermittent issue with WR702N used in either Repeater or Bridge mode.

WR702N is extending WiFi from local router connected to the internet, in order to extend range. WR702N position is good in relation to the local router for signal.

The WR702N can be setup correctly to the local router in both bridge and repeater modes following user guide and quick setup.

Initially, the connection works and devices can connect.

However, after some time the connection seems to hang / freeze. There is no internet connection and the WR702N admin console can't be accessed (in bridge mode). In repeater mode this means NO device can connect and knocks all other deivces offline at the residence.

An android device will simply try to connect indefinitely in a loop and fail to authenticate.

Switching the WR702N off and on resolves the issue for a short time but it always returns after a few hours.

This is the 2nd WR702N I've tried, after returning the first unit for replacement.

Additional info:

- WPS is OFF on the router
- Security is WPA2-PSK
- Wireless Freq is 2.4ghz standard
- Channel is fixed on the local router, and is correctly matched on the WR702N
- Forcing the router and WR702N to use b/g modes only has no effect
- This issue is present using other routers / internet connections

Any advice anyone can give would be much appreciated. If not the WR702N will have to be returned. Shame as it's a brilliant little box when it's running fine.

Thanks in advance,

Bux
Options
70 Reply
Re:WR702N Connection Issue / Repeater + Bridge Mode
2013-01-23 20:54:58
Hi Bux, when it happens, try to ping your router's IP. By the way, is there an IP conflict between WR702 and your root device?
Options
2013-01-27 05:22:31
Hi all,
I face exactly the same problem as Bux! I tried all the above too but no luck.. And I have the same configuration but I use it always as a repeater. My firmware is TL-WR702N_V1.0_120530 (I did not upgrade to the latest as I saw the bug fixes and I did not care..).
When this freeze happens I suppose I cannot ping it..but I have not tested it.. Surely no ip conflict for me.. As I have dhcp range from 1 to 200 and the repeater is at 253. I am disappointed although it is a really brilliant device..

Any ideas or suggestions? Can TP-LINK do something for this? ..Maybe a new firmware version will fix it if there is a small bug..somewhere..

Thank you
Options
2013-01-27 19:18:15

Superpan wrote

Hi all,
I face exactly the same problem as Bux! I tried all the above too but no luck.. And I have the same configuration but I use it always as a repeater. My firmware is TL-WR702N_V1.0_120530 (I did not upgrade to the latest as I saw the bug fixes and I did not care..).
When this freeze happens I suppose I cannot ping it..but I have not tested it.. Surely no ip conflict for me.. As I have dhcp range from 1 to 200 and the repeater is at 253. I am disappointed although it is a really brilliant device..

Any ideas or suggestions? Can TP-LINK do something for this? ..Maybe a new firmware version will fix it if there is a small bug..somewhere..

Thank you

If you are unable to ping your router's IP, then it means connection is unstable enough.
Since you tried fix channels on your router, upgrade your WR702's firmware to be latest first, reset it to make new firmware take effect and reconfigure it to see what happens.
Options
2013-01-27 21:12:54

Vivian wrote

If you are unable to ping your router's IP, then it means connection is unstable enough.
Since you tried fix channels on your router, upgrade your WR702's firmware to be latest first, reset it to make new firmware take effect and reconfigure it to see what happens.

No ping when freezing and channel cannot be changed when in repeater mode. Firmware upgrade is useless since there is not a fix for this according to the release notes of the firmware and you can see this from Bux post who suffer from the same problem.

This is pretty straight. There is a bug.. Either it will be fixed in a new firmware or I will return the 702.

If TP-LINK or anyone else has a REALLY good solution to the problem without firmware upgrade...let us know.

Thank you
Options
2013-01-27 21:55:48
Not channel on repeater but your router. After change it, you need to survey your router on repeater again.
Besides, try to disable security on your router or change another one like WEP for a test.
Maybe it is compatible issue between your root router and WR702. What's the router's brand and model?
Options
WR702N Access issue
2013-01-28 21:33:04
Hi guys

Just to add to your posts, I too have the exact same problem. The strange thing is that if the unit is used in client mode (ie, allowing a wired device to connect to the wireless network), the system works fine for the first few hours, but then drops connection, changes its IP address to the default and you can no longer access the device (or any other device on the network for that matter). The only means of connecting to it is via the LAN connector, meaning it needs to be unplugged from the device and connected to your PC/Laptop. This can then only be resolved by rebooting the WR702 and the whole cycle starts again. It is VERY frustrating indeed as the the only reason I bought the unit was for its client / bridge capabilities.

Since it works fine for a few hours, I can only assume there is an issue in the firmware where instead of acting as a clone of the router (Router A), it identifies itself as the wireless router instead, so any device trying to connect to the network is then confused and speaks to the WR702 instead. The devices connected to the router directly (via ethernet cables) are unaffected, if I remember correctly and so its only the wireless aspects that appear to be causing the issue. One other thing, I have connected another wireless router (Router B) to the BT router (Router A) I am using and configured it as an access point. The same problem exists, except when you lose connection it doesn't stop all other devices from connecting to the network as they are still connected to Router A. This again leads me to conclude it is the WR702 and not anything else on the network.

I will try to remove all security features of the router B and see if this fixes the issue, although that would clearly NOT be a solution.

I have read somewhere that when setting up the WR702, you should use Canada or any other country as both the US and UK do not work? can anyone shed any light on what that is referring to and perhaps clarify if that could be the root cause here?

I do not want to return / throw this unit away as it is a very well styled and simple unit. If it works, it will be great, but I am struggling to justify the expense (financial or time) as it is not anywhere close to reliable enough to be used on a permanent basis.

Any help or suggestions will be most welcomed, and if I do suss anything out myself I will be sure to post here.

Regards

Andy
Options
2013-01-29 01:52:36
I think I had the exactly the same stability issue in repeater mode as you guys describe above.
What solved my problem was to set fixed IP address (and DNS) on all devices. Since then no more infinity loops, repeater works stable and there is no more need to reboot it every few hours.

I launched an enquiry with TP-Link support but they are unable to troubleshoot. For me it seems that some routers are not properly passing through DHCP to repeaters seeing the same MAC address with different IPs trying to get into network, so repeaters get confused in the end (due to infinity loops with multiple devices) and lose all the connections.
Options
2013-01-30 06:27:38
Ok, to sum up.. I have configured the 702 (as a repeater) for Greece and I do have the problem so country is irrelevant. Also I tried another channel to the router but nothing changed. The model of my router is (Philips CGA5720S/TE). Change all the devices to static or changing the security of the network ( open or WEP ) are things that does not solve the issue..are just testing..and this is something TP-LINK should have already done. I cannot believe that they are unable to troubleshoot this one. It is obvious that a firmware needed fixing this bug. If TP-LINK needs more info we can provide it. We are right now the best testers for them.If anyone from TP-LINK is seeing this thread please give a response.. Negative or positive..just a light to our darkness... Oerwise we could do something all together.. I don't know.. Maybe an enquiry with all our names and cases in it...

Panos.
Options
2013-02-04 01:43:42
From the above spam post and the unanswered question of mine.. I assume there is no moderator.. An of course no one from tp-link reading this forum ( or they are ignoring the posts ). Also no willing is seen here for a team work and solution to our problem. So..thank you everybody for your time and posts and good luck with the 702.
Options
Not alone with the random repeating
2013-02-21 06:17:33
You are not alone with this

I too am having the same issues, i bought a few of these devices, for different purposes and my issues are with the repeater mode too, I have not tried bridged, but having read this i don't think it is worth the effort trying

Some background on my setup and configurations (not that these should matter, it is the repeating function that seems to have an error/bug/glitch).

Device - 702N FW - 4.18.107 Build 121123 Rel.31456n
Router - Netgear WNDR3700 on the standard 2.4GHz network (not the guest)
ISP - Virgin Media (No i am not using their SuperHub, see above for my router).

All modems/routers are on the latest FW inclding the TP Link - although that in itself is annoying, having to go and collect the repeater after a FW update to reset its settings, why are settings not retained (I know its only a one off, but when you have a few devices it is a pain in the A).

My repeater mode works for about a day then completely vanishes - I can sometimes scan and see it broadcasting (by MAC) but it does nothing else, unplugging the device and re-connecting it resolves the issue, shortly

I have reset the device, re-installed the FW and as suggested above, tried the normal WEP/WPA, no Encryption methods - although that is a bad idea, but none solve the issue

My router is not a DHCP server
My 702N is not a DHCP server
I have a domain controller that is my DNS and DHCP server

Any device that connects to my Netgear - gets out on the internet, wired or wireless, but if a device last used the repeater - it fails to get an IP or internet connection - because the device stops repeating - it is like there is a timeout on inactivity.

I have to either unplug and plugin the repeater or disconnect the wireless devices and let them find the netgear

This is clearly a bug in the 702N and i am happy to gather/send any logs required to fix this.

As it happens i dont need the repeater, but the plan was to put a repeater the other end of the house (where the netgear still reaches) and boost it so that come the summer i can sit out the garden and listen to internet radio or use the laptop.

I have set a static IP on the 702N and it's Default gateway and DNS servers (under the DHCP tab) even though it isnt required (or shouldnt be in repeater mode) to see if this helps and i have since writing this post moved the device from its preferred location to a socket about 2 meters from the main router - in an attempt to see if it stays connected longer.

I will know by tomorrow if this has stopped repeating or not.

I have set a static DNS entry poitning to the IP of the repeater, but when it goes, neither name or IP will ping

My 702N is also being powered by the supplied 3 Pin plug, but since moving it (mentioned above) i am leaving it powered via USB

if you need any more info or logs, tell me what and how to get it and i will collect what i can

I do have one additional question - in the system logs there appears to be some info, but nothing else ever appears, but the file name seems to be a date of 2006 - could this be why it drops and if so where is the system getting its time/date from?

System Log

Index Level Log Content
1 INFO 0000:System: The device initialization succeeded.

E4 DEBUG :(|2006-01-01 21:27:59 48480s|ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: errno = 0x3d0002

E3 DEBUG :(|2006-01-01 20:52:51 46371s|ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: errno = 0xc0002

E2 DEBUG :(|2006-01-02 7:15:05 83706s|ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: errno = 0x3d0002

E1 DEBUG :(|2006-01-02 6:35:37 81338s|ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: errno = 0xc0002
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7331

Replies: 70

Related Articles