Deco M5 3 devices best topology (all access point) please advise

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-22 19:57:58

Dear All,

This is my first post on those forums so I'd like to say hello to you all.

I am a long term tp-link user and I would like to hear your advice on best way of implementing Deco M5 three devices into my LAN.

My LAN currently consists of:

1. tp-link Archer VR900 VDSL modem/router/wifi

2. one desktop and one laptop PC

3. 3 mobile phones

4. QNAP NAS server

5. Other devices working on wifi not relevant for the topic (vacum cleaner, occasionally some extra laptop, mobile phone, TV, heating system)

6. tp-link wifi extender on 2nd floor

7. Free tp-link 5 port 1Gbit switch

Main reason for introducing Deco M5 devices is that current wifi range is pretty awful, speed after repeater is very low and I am very annoyed with disconnections while walking around the house, going upstairs, downstairs...

I would like to run all M5 devices in Access Point Mode. Router will remain as it is now with NAT, DHCP server, OpenVPN functions.

I have sketched the following 3 topologies, kindly please advise which one will work with Deco M5, if all, please let me know which is the optimal one.

My only requirement is that tp-link VR900 stays as modem/router and the first M5 device will sit 1 meter from router, in the same room (closet under stairs where also NAS is).

I want to run one SSID, based on Deco M5 only, one device downstairs where router is, 2nd device upstairs and 3rd in the most adjacent room upstairs.

Taking the above into consideration, I think I should disable wifi on VR900.

Please find my ideas below and share your thoughts:

Topology idea 1

Topology idea 2

Topology idea 3

Kind Regards,

Maciek

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 3 devices best topology (all access point) please advise
2020-04-24 04:48:04

Anyone please? 

Options