Archer M600 Low Signal & Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-02 14:28:11 - last edited 2020-05-02 15:13:23
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest Version: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 200417 Rel.75138n

Hi,

I live in the middle of a large city but for some reason Openreach have basically decided they won't enable our street for fast broadband so I decided to look into 4G mobile internet. 

Initially I signed up with 3 mobile (UK) and they sent me an unlimited data SIM and a Huawei B535 router. Anyway turns out 3's coverage in my area was absolutely terrible so I decided to switch to a Vodafone SIM only contract (Unlimited Data and Max speeds) and bought an Archer M600 having seen good reviews. 

My sim arrived a day before my router so I tried it in my Huawei (with external bunny-ear antennas) as it was laying around waiting to be sent back to 3. I was getting 4-5 bars of 4G+ and speeds of 70-90Mbps peak times and 110Mb off peak. 

However since popping the SIM in my MR600 (in the same position as the Huawei) It's flicking between 1-2 bars of signal and my speeds have never passed 60Mbps, and most of the time it is between 20-30 if I'm lucky. I have tried moving the router obviously and even switched the antenna to my Huawei ones but to no avail. 

I have also installed the beta firmware to enable manual band selection but it hasn't made a difference (unless I'm doing it wrong).

Are there any ways of improving signal and speeds? I feel like after using the Huawei this shouldn't be an issue and maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there a specific band I should use for 4G+?

Thanks in advance. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer M600 Low Signal & Speeds
2020-05-02 14:39:31
I should also add that when I was using my Huawei I had multiple devices connected to the router and still got those speeds. With my MR600 I've only connected my TV, Xbox and Phone. I'm currently now only getting around 14Mbps down speeds Really hoping to get this resolved as I was amazed with the previous speeds I was getting with this Vodafone SIM but the Archer has just left me disappointed thus far.
Options
2020-05-05 18:14:47 - last edited 2020-05-05 18:15:22

Hi,

I had a similar issue in that the only way to get 4G+ on Vodafone was when the indicated bands were "1,20".  After weekend maintenance on the mast, band 1 was now slightly stonger and the indicated bands were now 4G "20,1" and my download speeds really bad.  After downloading the beta software and selecting "Band A - 20" and "Band B - 1"; after a reboot, the bands indicated are back to 4G+ "1,20" and download speeds excellent again.  Hope that helps?

CheerZ

Options
2020-05-05 19:23:04

@Fl1nst0ne 

Thanks for the response. 

I tried your suggestion and set Band A: 20 and Band B: 1 then rebooted. Signal strength was the same but my download speeds dropped to around 23Mbps. 

I had a long chat with one of TP-Link's advisors a few days ago, they definitely seem to agree something isn't quite right considering I have been testing alongside a Huawei B535 router. They have escalated things via email with their senior engineers but apparently they were on holiday leave until today, hopefully will get a response from them tomorrow at some point. 

In the meantime I'm going to attempt the SIM card in a mobile and tether to my laptop to see what kind of results I get. Doesn't help with the router but It will keep me busy in the meantime ha. 

Thanks again.

Options
2020-05-05 20:17:34

@ScottMU See if there are any other bands on your mast you can play with?  I also have band 7 but haven't played around yet as I am currently happy on consistently getting 50-60Meg download and 10-20Meg upload.  I'll let you know if I have a play smiley

CheerZ

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1397

Replies: 4