VPN Client support

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VPN Client support

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VPN Client support
VPN Client support
2020-05-06 08:31:02
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I know this is an ongoing question, but can someone from TP-Link please explain why none of the home routers have support for modern VPN client connection options like OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPsec?

My new AC4000 only supports the outdated protocols L2TP and PPTP (which NordVPN won't allow any more). So did the 3150 I had before (replaced by this A20/AC4000 under warranty)

I'd love to get an official explanation from TP-Link why they stick with L2TP and PPTP as the only options, not just the generic waffle about "future support maybe...".

And why can't they upgrade firmware once in a while with new features (like better VPN client support laugh )?  2 years with the 3150 and not a single firmware upgrade...

Options
3 Reply
Re:VPN Client support
2020-12-17 13:11:08

@Marvin42 

I recently subscribed to SurfShark VPN. I'm a newby when it comes to this stuff but my understanding is that my TP-Link router (AC4000, Archer A20) should support the VPN. 

Does anyone know how to add the VPN to the router? 

Options
2020-12-18 07:27:31

@Djames210 

Hello, thanks for asking.

The Archer A20 doesn't support VPN client settings, it only offers a VPN server (OpenVPN and PPTP).  However, it will operate by default as VPN passthrough using IPSec, PPTP, or L2TP.  All you have to do is have the SurfShark VPN software installed on the client devices and the VPN be based in one of the 3 mentioned protocols, there is no need to configure any VPN settings on the A20 router.

Options
2020-12-18 13:22:29

@Kevin_Z   
Kevin, thanks for the response.

What is meant by "it only offers a VPN server?"

I was informed that the best method is to place the VPN on the router, and this way all downstream devices are protected. (Otherwise 16 devices would need to be updated including x-box, etc). 

So I would like the VPN tagged to the router. Is this possible with A20 and SurfShark?  Or another other VPN service? 

Thanks,

darrin

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1969

Replies: 3

Related Articles