Archer C6 V2 Firmware 1.3.0 EU - WiFi drops every few minutes after firmware upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C6 V2 Firmware 1.3.0 EU - WiFi drops every few minutes after firmware upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
99 Reply
Re:Archer C6 V2 Firmware 1.3.0 EU - WiFi drops every few minutes after firmware upgrade
2021-05-28 06:59:59

@oulymouly 

I thought your previous disconnect issue was resolved with the beta firmware we provided here, which allows you to disable the Onemesh feature on the router. But if you still encounter issues, we would like to escalate the case to the engineers for further investigate, you can discuss with them directly. However, you will need to provide your detailed network layout, details about the issue, then they can help.

If you would like to follow it up, please reply the email, thanks.

Options
Re:Archer C6 V2 Firmware 1.3.0 EU - WiFi drops every few minutes after firmware upgrade
2021-05-28 20:08:29

@Kevin_Z. Its been more than 2 months now that with a standby DLINK DIR-850 WIFI Router configured a prayer, i jumped into resetting the device and then updating the TPLink Archer C6 (EU version) with the Beta Version supplied by the TP Link Support team and the upgrade took place without any glitches/surprises. I have left all the settings to default with a weekly scheduled reboot of the router as recommended by my ISV. 

I use the router for WFH, Video/Voice Conferencing, Data, OTT Channels on 4K resolution and gameplay using consoles.  I have also enabled the Smartswitch between 2.4 & 5 GHZ and portable IOT devices are able to do a painless switch between the bands once integrated with Smartswitch :). 

I am glad to say the drops are very rare and am quite happy with the performance now. Left to itself without tinkering of the router settings. i would recommend the BETA software so go for it. 

However my expectations would still be

1. That TP-Link publishes a quality tested and Bug Free Final release. Please publish a ETA

2. enable https connection when accessing the router e.g https://192.168.x.x with a facility to enter the same 4 - 6 digit random characters that can generated by FW during login. this will further secure the router from breakins and gets rid of the Privacy/Unsafe errors

Thanks again to the TP-Link community and the TP-Link support team 

Best regards

SBLAHIRI

Options
2021-06-13 21:07:50 - last edited 2021-06-13 21:12:03

Kevin_Z , very happy to have this Beta firmware, which alllows removing the phanttom channel, and lets me much improve my 5GHz wifi situation.

There is a problem, though, but let me first give you the good news.

• except for my problem, this has been entirely reliable for days at a time
  • I don't see any symptoms of the usual kind of dropout
  • I get as much as 200Mbps when the cable ISP actually allows it -- typical 120 off-times, 70 busy times

Now, here is where there is a problem, in some detail:

• I'm using the A6 in its wifi extender capability, not directly connected to the internet
  • I'm doing this repeating only the 5GHz channel, exactly what I need. 2GHz radio is off.
  • it's entirely reliable this way, connects right up on power-on and stays that way
  • But...
  • The cable provider, Specrum, has been bouncing their own connection recently - well known this is happening -- see DownDetector etc.
  • something they do overnight mainly causes the A6 to disconnect in some unusual way...
  • ...and when this happens, the A6 never re-acquires the extender ability, so that I get no wifi at all from it
  • checking when the repeated wifi is gone this way, the original wif it repeats is up and solid
  • on the a6, the two indicator lights, power and one other indicating acquisition, are lit just the same as when it is working
  • the A6 radio signal is up and strong as  usual, but the iPad connecting says 'no internet'
  • so the a6 itself is not actually functional then as a repeater, and only a power-off, wait, power-on cycle will re-engage it
  • once I do this reboot cycling, the A6 returns to working perfectly and for days, until another cable episode

What I believe the cable company is doing, among their other tricks, is updating the local cable modem firmware. 

• the fact that this lockout problem almost always occurs overnight would suggest this
  • So there may be some kind of different radio behavior when that firmware update restarts.
  • and the a6 doesn't recognize this, so fails to re-establish iits repeater protocol. Or something :)
  • the A6 radio signal remains fine, and reports 'no internet' when an iPad Air 4, which can do the speed, connects  to it

Kevin, that's a lot, but probably what an engineer will want to know to complete the shake-out of this fresh firmware..

I'm hoping here to help the A6 as a product here, as I think it's a very fine one. I have been very impressed with all aspects

of its design, and in fact I don't know why it seems kind of n outlier.  Tp-Link invented a very attractive style, and put inside what 
feels a very finely engineered set of capabilities -- also very nicely hidden to the side unless you are going to want to use them.

You've got something with looks of a present and future, and this fine internal design. Somehow I would think future lines would
follow on with it.  Maybe marketing just didn't get the point of how nice it is, with their initial effort? Anyway, very happy with it, 
having used it in several ways since purchase a year or so ago. I'll definitely look to Tp-Link when time comes to upgrade further.

Thanks and regards,

Clive

Options
2021-08-17 12:26:35

@Kevin_Z  The router worked fine with the beta till yesterday, now it started again to disables very often

Options
2021-08-18 06:58:41

@bilbil 

Is your Archer C6(EU) 2.0? What is the current firmware? Have you tried to review and verify if there is interference with the signal? Try to run Wi-Fi analyzer to verify and find a clear channel for both the 2.4G and 5G, then monitor.

If none of the suggestions help, it's suggested to contact the local tech support to check if they have further suggestions:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options
2021-08-18 19:14:22

Guys. Just stop fighting. Spent a year with this horror device working from home. Tried every firmware and all fishy options. It was never stable. Just do your self a favor and buy something elese.

Did not tried to sell mine. Just put it in the bin whre it belongs.

Options
2021-08-18 20:12:53

@Mrjlaunch et al,

Guys, there was release of an upgraded non-beta firmware a while ago, which includes the OneMesh button so you can turn off the phantom channel, as with the beta, plus fixes which may be relevant to what some of you are saying.

My situation with this firmware is that the wifi is entirely reliable, at circa 150Mbps speeds when the cable has that, and only once a week or so needs a restart, just the cable does something disruptive, per my little description some messages above..

I.e. it's good. Get it from the Tp-link site, choosing whether you have V2 or V3 hardware, and what region you're in. 

For US, this page lets you choose the V version: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-a6/

This is what it says on the V2 US page.  Note the date is quite earlier; release was a month ago or so:

Modifications and Bug Fixes
1. Add the OneMesh button;
2. Enhance device security;
3. Fixed the bug that Daylight Saving Time causing Parental Control to take effect incorrectly;
4. Fixed the bug that change the router's name on tether will not take effect;
5. Fixed the bug that unstable WAN connection under certain circumstances.

Options
2021-08-19 13:56:00 - last edited 2021-08-19 13:59:33

@oulymouly thats my idea too, and ill never again get something from this brand.. and the firmware is the beta you updated Kevin with which everything worked good until couple of days ago.

Options
2021-08-19 17:36:08

@Kevin_Z Ill give it one last try, is there any firmware update on eu version? Cause on https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c6/ there is only US option which is released in June this year

Options
2021-10-04 18:24:46 - last edited 2021-10-24 20:47:39

After all I've said about my C6 v2 router being stable I'm disappointed to say I've been experiencing momentary WiFi drops these past few weeks. It worsened (happening multiple times a day at random) to the point where I decided to perform a hard reset, load firmware 1.3.6 - 200902 (was using the 1.3.6 beta version previously) and reloaded a known stable backup config. Unfortunately nothing improved.

I've decided to edit this as I found the issue occurs on my Android phone (ZTE Axn 10 Pro) but not with my other devices, so I suspect it issue is either my phone or the compatability netween my router and phone has changed for some reason. Unfortunately as Android phones don't show WiFi logs it's impossible to know the cause.

Options