CGNAT solutions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

CGNAT solutions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
CGNAT solutions
CGNAT solutions
2020-05-18 16:41:13 - last edited 2020-05-18 16:44:27
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi all, I've been testing my MR600 with EE over the last few weeks in preparation for moving house to a location where fast (decent) broadband isn't available and generally I'm happy with the performance (especially with the band selection options in the beta software).

Unfortunately I have recently discovered that EE use CGNAT for there unlimited data sim only plans which in layman's terms means I don't have a unique IP address as it's shared amongst multiple users.  I have a number of use cases where I need to have an identifiable ip for web hosting, IP cameras and home assistant etc.

I've looked into the solutions and these range from VPN's to using remote.it but wondered if the community have any other suggestions. Is there any options on the MR600 that would help for example. Bare in mind things like dyndns don't work behind CGNAT.

thanks.

Options
6 Reply
Re:CGNAT solutions
2020-05-25 14:37:31

@apt 

The MR600 is supposed to support IPv6, so if you enabled IPv6 then you should be able to avoid CGNAT because CGNAT is only used by EE for IPv4. You could connect from external devices to your router's IPv6 address (assuming you had IPv6 access at the external device).

I have tried to get dual stack IPv4 & IPv6 working with the MR600, but unfortunately when I create a new APN and select "IPv4 & IPv6", the router only seems to show an IPv6 address and the IPv4 address is blank. Does anyone have IPv4 & IPv6 working with EE?

Options
2020-05-25 14:51:17
That’s interesting , I can see the ipv6 tunnelling option and an app for ipv6 but can’t seem to enable it. Any help?
Options
2020-05-25 15:16:18 - last edited 2020-05-25 15:17:02

@apt 

If you go to Advanced > Network > Internet and then select "Create Profile". Copy all the same details from the default EE profile, but change "Profile Name" to "EE2" and "PDP Type" to "IPv4 & IPv6". Then save this profile and make it active by selecting EE2 from the dropdown box under Basic > Internet > Profile Name and clicking Save.

To check if it is working, go to the Advanced tab and you should be allocated an IPv4 address and if you click on IPv6 it should show an IPv6 address. In my case, it only shows an IPv6 address and not an IPv4 address, meaning IPv4 does not work. I suspect there is some incompatibility between EE and the MR600. Please try this out and let me know how it goes. If you have the same problem, then we can raise it with TP-Link tech support.

Options
2020-05-25 15:59:06

@Cytec thanks for that, I've a set it up as you described and I'm also only getting an ipv6 address. Strangely using test ipv6 dot com shows me both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses.

Also I've also noticed that the speed test in the app no longer works.

Options
2020-05-26 14:02:30
I have sent a support email about the issue. I will update if I receive a reply but it may be worth those who have the same issue doing the same. If more people raise the issue it may be resolved sooner.
Options
2020-06-03 16:38:27 - last edited 2020-06-03 16:38:42

I also contacted support. They replied to say "it is recommended to use IPv4 only". This is not particularly helpful so I will be returning the device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2606

Replies: 6

Related Articles