Wifi Extension on TpLink 4220 power line adaptor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-22 12:51:28
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.9

Hi

Does anybody know if I can use my powerline adaptor as a WiFi extender without connecting it to the powerline. Obviously it needs to be plugged into a socket and switched on but can I still use it just as an extension.

I decided to run a cable from my sky hub in the hallway to my bedroom upstairs (for gaming reasons) so I now have a direct link meaning my power adapters are no longer needed but I was wondering if I could use one of them to get a better WiFi signal in the garden.

I've tried using the clone option on the adaptor and using the WPS feature of my hub but although I get a stable green light for the WiFi on the adaptor it soon turns off and I cannot get it back without a full power cycle. I have used the TP Link utility and changed the SSID and password of the adaptor to match my hubs WiFi settings but still I cannot get it to hold a connection.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Wifi Extension on TpLink 4220 power line adaptor
2020-05-25 09:59:06

@Jason2509 what you are describing is using the device as a WiFi repeater. I don't think they can do that, but even if they can using powerline to get a network connection from your router to the extender is going to be *much* better than using WiFi. You'll get double the bandwidth and much less risk of interference.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 605

Replies: 1