ARCHER C7 1750AC WIFI 2.4Ghz Latency Spikes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-23 17:18:37
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20190726 rel.57101(5553)

Hi,
Recently I purchased one of this TP LINK Archer C7 AC1750 and I noticed my notebooks suddenly disconnects from the network. 
My network is formed by this router and my ISP router connected by cable.
This router is in Access Point mode.
Both of them share the same SSID and password.
When I did a test with ping 8.8.8.8 -t or with the IP of my router I had this sudden spikes of latency which came from nowhere. They vary between 200 ms and 2000ms or more.
I noticed that in the 5 ghz it doesnt happen. (I checked with my phone (Moto G5s Plus)).
I have some computers connected via cable and this doesnt happen.

I have tried:

1. Turning off and on router
  2. Changing channels of the 2.4 Ghz
  3. Disabling the IPV6 option in my notebooks.
  4. Connecting via cable to see if it happens
  5. Changing ISPs
  6. Checking with my cabled computers and notebooks and the same time

Notebooks:

• HP 240 G6 with Windows 10
  • Dell inspiron 1545 with Windows 10

The firmware is the latest and the router is a few months old.
Also I have a second ISP so I tried connecting this router to my other ISP and this still happening.

WiFi

Cable

Any suggestion would be appreciated

Options
4 Reply
Re:ARCHER C7 1750AC WIFI 2.4Ghz Latency Spikes
2020-05-23 18:33:47

@MisterI 

Troubleshooting wireless ping latency is very challenging and requires physical presence along with proper equipments. I will provide some quick insight which might help explain the latency. However, I recommend searching the web for more information.

2.4GHz uses 11 channels whereas 5GHz uses 23 channels. Additionally, 5GHz is less crowded. Whereas, 2.4GHz frequency share devices with the like of garage door openers, microwaves and so on, and hence much more crowded. Crowded traffic tends to create interference, which possibly explain the spike. 5GHz and physical ethernet connection is less susceptible to interference, therefore, no ping latency spike.

If you are curious and want to better understand wireless networks around you, attempt the following:

• Review the wireless networks around your location.
  • Separate which wireless network is 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
  • Review all the devices that utilize the 2.4GHz nearby.

Good luck and do post/reply here if you found useful information.

Options
2020-05-23 18:41:29

@Godzilla 

Thanks for the quick answer.

I will try to change channels to see if it still happens.

I have seen some people disabling the N and using only the B/G but in this model I can't disable it.

I have other router which is much older that works on B/G that doesn't have this behavior, maybe it's something related to the N protocol?

Options
2020-05-23 19:31:31

@MisterI 

I'm not certain if it's the N protocol. New router has the ability to detect congestion and auto-switch to different channel. I don't have the C7 to review its wireless option. Additionally, there are devices that can interfere with 2.4GHz which are difficult to determine. There are mobile apps that can view WiFi networks and its channels, a good start to view wireless networks around your location.

If you simply just want to use the router, stop here. Ping latency spikes is tolerable if connection is stable and useable. I don't want to lead you down the rabbit hole smiley

If you are adventurous, review the C7 1750AC hardware and OpenWRT 19.07.3 compatibility. OpenWRT provides more features and more control over the router. The GUI does take time to adjust, but simple. OpenWRT and its firmware do requires some reading before proceeding. There is the possibility of bricking the router if not careful.

Backup plan, I recommend performing a router backup and tp-link firmware ready if needing to revert back to factory firmware. Additionally, have the used WiFi router handy incase of bricking the current router. Or if the old WiFi router is compatible with OpenWRT, try that first.

Options
2020-05-26 13:10:27

@Godzilla 
While its true that its usable in most cases, in my case, sadly isnt. I do videoconferences often and its annoying. Sometimes even disconnects me from the network cause of the lost packets in a short time.

The router is a few months old and it has warranty, so that solution would void the warrany frown.

I will reach TPLink to see if they can solve this. Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1482

Replies: 4