NAT advice on Deco and Virgin Hub 3.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-24 08:58:58
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

Initially I have set up my Deco P9 system connecting the main Deco to a Virgin Hub 3.0 modem. 

I could not find a "pass-through" configuration setting in the Virgin Hub, so I turned off all the Virgin Hub's wifi and used the DHCP reservation system to give the Deco a reserved IP. I then connect all devices to the Deco leaving it in router mode, so I think I have two NATs running, one on the Deco and one on the Virgin Hub (translating one address).

Based on Virgin Hub message boards, it appears as if you can ring Virgin and ask them to put your modem in pass-though mode (Not sure if this is possible during COVID-19 restrictions). Is this worth the effort, or is that second layer of NAT lightweight enough to ignore?

Options
4 Reply
Re:NAT advice on Deco and Virgin Hub 3.0
2020-05-24 15:01:13

@JaseBob Have you put your virgin hub into modem mode only?

Options
2020-05-24 15:07:46

@mastermjr2004 That's what I mean by pass-though mode. There is no setting in the configuration settings, and you appear to need to call Virgin to get into pass-though (or modem only mode), which disables the NAT

Options
2020-05-24 15:18:20 - last edited 2020-05-24 15:20:52

@JaseBob You should be able to change your router into modem mode from the settings. You shouldn't have to call virgin to change it unless it is a new thing.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

Options
2020-05-25 08:53:10

@mastermjr2004 Hey thanks for the time you put into finding this link, it might help others. But, it seems not to apply to Ireland. I have no option for modem mode when I log in.

This thread covers it. It might be that in Ireland they set you up for IPv6 by default and then the modem-mode option disappears. You have to call them

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057868651

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1230

Replies: 4