What are you doing that 1Gbps isn't fast enough?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-29 12:50:04

One of the most bandwidth intensive things you could do is stream 4k which is usually around 25-30Mbps per device. You could stream 4k on 30 devices with bandwidth to spare.

In terms of up/downloading, it would take you 13 minutes to download a 100GB file at 1Gbps vs 1 minute with 10Gbps. That doesn't seem like much of a big deal to me.

In the future, we may require 10Gbps (difference between a few minutes vs couple hours for a 1TB file) but for a typical home user today it seems 1Gbps is WAY more than enough.

In the day and age of everything being online (cloud, SaaS, etc), what am I missing here? How are so many of you running out of bandwidth with 1Gbps connections?

Options
3 Reply
Re:What are you doing that 1Gbps isn't fast enough?
2020-05-31 14:07:55
That's a simple answer for me; I run a video production company and when I work from home I connect wirelessly to my router from my laptop and it is essential I am continuously backing up my video content to my home server, which can be many terabytes in size, so for me the faster the connection, the better ;)
Options
2020-06-02 05:35:25
One of the most bandwidth intensive things you could do is stream 4k which is usually around 25-30Mbps per device. You could stream 4k on 30 devices with bandwidth to spare. In terms of up/downloading, it would take you 13 minutes to download a 100GB file at 1Gbps vs 1 minute with 10Gbps. That doesn't seem like much of a big deal to me. In the future, we may require 10Gbps (difference between a few minutes vs couple hours for a 1TB file) but for a typical home user today it seems 1Gbps is WAY more than enough. https://omegle.onl/ In the day and age of everything being online (cloud, SaaS, etc), what am I missing here? How are so many of you running out of bandwidth with 1Gbps connections?
Options
2020-06-02 16:33:34

@AustinGreyson That's still 1 minute too long. Instantaneous transfer is the aim here, otherwise there won't be innovation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 613

Replies: 3

Related Articles