Change wifi channel on Deco X60

Change wifi channel on Deco X60

82 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco X60
2023-08-25 17:11:23

I see the rationale behind why TP-Link won't allow users to change channels but there is another reason to allow this in today's world not mentioned here. 

I have about 50 ZigBee home automation devices around the house that also work in the 2.4GHz band. And the ZigBee and WiFi channels overlap. But since WiFi is much more powerful, this causes my ZigBee devices to lose connection constantly.

This especially an issue because each Deco unit may use a different 2.4GHz channel depending on the channel usage around it and changing the ZigBee channel will not work reliably across the house.

For reference, here is the channel overlap 

Options
2023-08-25 21:17:57

@Zyber I agree, we should have the option to manually select channels. Even if they have to give a warning before allowing it, at the very least let the more technologically savvy decide for themselves. The fact this is restricted is simply insane these days, at the very least give us alternatives, even if it's only 2. The devices can't be that delicate or frail.

Options
2023-08-29 18:19:51

@Dissing I guess I'm exceptionally frustrated because I live in an area where essentially everyone has their WiFi channels chosen for them and they just leave them as-is. Knowing this, I had bought an AX3000 years ago and used an extender into a far room. That worked well because I could analyze channel use via an app on my tablet and 'see' what other folks were using, then switch my channels on 2.4 and 5, to least used channels. However, I upgraded to the Deco X60 and now I'm having fits unless I run the 'Network Optimization' task every few days. This is extremey annoying and now that the newer TP-Link routers, like the AX73, support OneMesh, I'm thinking of going back to a standard router with a OneMesh extender so I can choose WiFi channels again.

Come on, TP-Link, do better and give those of us with networking knowledge more control over our mesh options!

Options
2023-09-10 07:48:58 - last edited 2023-09-10 07:57:07

I am not sure that TP-Link understand the concept of the claim of 'network optimization' because optimization 'The action of making the best or most effective use of a situation or resource', is far from what my X60's are doing and from what I see anyone else's too, it seems to me, from reading many of these threads dating back to the beginning of 2020, they just set a standard channel 2.4GHz channel 6 and 5GHz channel 48, seems to me as if the 'Network Optimization' button in the app is simply a marketing tool that when pressed gives you a pretty animation to make you think it's doing something when in fact it does nothing because i've never seen it change and I have not come across a thread that says they are on any different channel. I am paying for 900mb and no matter how close I am to the router I am lucky to get 200mb.. That is a bad channel problem!

Many threads people have complained about the inability to perform such a simple task, as I said previously, from what I can see as far back as 2020 and the administrators of this site always seem to claim 'we have told the developers' and 'something is in the works' and 'something is coming soon', well, I smell BS from start to finish. Having just upgraded from the Deco s4's, I am severely disappointed that this is still the case.. I shall be returning my X60's to swap them for something better.. Like a potato!

Options
2023-09-22 12:44:40 - last edited 2023-09-22 12:46:05

@David-TP Indeed, we need to have an option to change the wifi channel. It's a basic feature.

Options
2023-10-09 10:41:21

@Dissing 

i really dont understand it either,

choosing manual wifi channel is basic config.

strange.

Options
2023-10-10 01:42:49

How about the other elephant in the room. 

Paying extra for safety filters, parental and other services that should be freely managable for the pricing of these devices!

Still happy about the connection, though, but do not live in a crowded area. 

Good luck, all

Options
2023-10-18 14:38:51

I really need to be able to change channels. Because my phone doesn't show 5ghz

Options
2023-10-19 08:17:25

@pankaj2 Hello, did you try turning on the 2.4 network? goodluck!

Options
2023-10-19 14:01:44

AlvLa wrote

@pankaj2 Hello, did you try turning on the 2.4 network? goodluck!

@AlvLa   2.4ghz work fine but i need to use 5ghz

Options
Related Articles