In a starter kit does it matter which of the two units gets connected with the router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

In a starter kit does it matter which of the two units gets connected with the router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-04 18:46:53

Hello,

I have TL-PA8033P KIT, those two beauties shown below, which I believe are TL-PA8030P and TL-PA8010P called so I guess because one has 3 ethernet ports and the other 1 ethernet port (I haven't worked out where the 33 in the kit code comes from, yet, working on it...).

Currently the router is plugged into TL-PA8010P, the one with one port, probably because the manual which I cannot find right now told me so. The question is can I swap them round and stick the cable from the router into one of the ethernet ports of TL-PA8030P instead and use TL-PA8010P away from the router?

Or maybe even more generally, given the plethora of different units out there, can I connect the router with any one I come across in my local electricals shop should I wish to extend or rearrange my set-up? Or are some of them, like the TL-PA8010P here, specifically for connecting with the router only?

Options
3 Reply
Re:In a starter kit does it matter which of the two units gets connected with the router?
2020-06-05 10:44:42
You can connect the router to either of them. Normally you wouldn't want to as most routers have several ports and WiFi so why set the same up right next to it, but there is no hard reason you shouldn't.
Options
Re:In a starter kit does it matter which of the two units gets connected with the router?
2020-06-05 10:56:25

Excellent, thank you!

That makes sense, I may have got confused by some videos about wifi units where you get base or adapter and remote or extender, or something like that.

I was thinking about getting another starter kit like the one I have now and wanted to make sure that the unit that I have currently wired up to the router can also work away from the router.

Options
2020-06-05 11:01:45

Also the LED's, why did they place them in different locations, front on one unit, side on the other? When you are confused as I was this further reinforces the belief that the two devices may be for doing different jobs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 777

Replies: 3