Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
151 Reply
Re:Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?
2020-07-20 16:16:54

So they are able to load the older firmware, they log into the device via telnet (they even need to install a telnet client if it's not installed in your windows installation. They edit a line in the config to say that you have an older version than the version you are installing. It's worth getting them to to a remote session on your machine. They leverage Teamviewer to actually allow the remote connection to your PC. 

Anyways it seems like I'm good now. 

Options
2020-07-20 16:19:19

@bheywow 

thanks - they need to allow this for everyone. Ridic

Options
2020-07-20 16:19:24
FYI = I'm on version 1.0.7 Build 20200212 rel.7095 now.
Options
2020-07-20 16:23:38

@bheywow 

yep. That one was stable and the one I want to roll back to. 

Options
2020-07-21 02:32:44

Wouldn't it be simpler just to re-release the older firmware but with a higher version number till they sort out the underlying issues and can release a true update? That would avoid having to do a per-customer workaround.

Options
2020-07-21 03:48:37

@jam9 but that would be logical. 

I mean that is why they have point releases after all. 

Options
2020-07-21 04:20:59

@AGSystem 

easier yes, but I'm not convinced they get that. 

the guy had to edit what seemed to be the running config at the commend line to get running version number lower than the installed version. In two places. 😀

Options
2020-07-21 10:18:28

@jam9 

Yes yes it would be...and may acutally show customer service...and that they care about their customers....and easy for everyone...but no.....

Options
2020-07-21 15:04:33 - last edited 2020-07-21 15:05:45

I've had the same problem since early June and I've had a ticket open since the day after installing the firmware. The ticket has been sitting in a sr. support alalysts lap since then with not progress but that was my own fault since I had a typo in the email address I provided. That being said, I reached out to support 7 times to get the address corrected with no luck. 

Yesterday I started another live chat with support, provided the original ticket number and demanded that they work with me to roll back the firmware same day. After a 3 hour wait, Someone reached out through email and we started a screen share. He wasn't able to take control of my PC so he provided instructions and I did the work. Its very easy and only took about 8 minutes and I'm back on the March firmware. I noticed a difference right away.

The process involves installing a beta firmware, telnet into the routher, change the version and save, install the old firmware.

Options
2020-07-21 16:37:32

@Efour 

I'm having similar issues.  Specifically for me, I had been using the Archer AX6000 as an access point with cable modem internet service through Xfinity, using a TP-Link TL-R600VPN router for the DHCP work.  It was extremely difficult to get this router set up as an access point initially by the way...  After changing internet providers to CenturyLink, for 1Gbps internet, I have had nothing but problems.

Initially tried to use their DSL modem/router as my DHCP, and keep the Archer AX6000 as wireless access point.  Nope, the Archer AX6000 WOULD NOT CONNECT to the modem/router no matter what I did.  I thought I was doing something wrong.  Then, out of frustration, since I knew it had worked behind the TL-R600VPN router, I began exploring how to make that happen.  I was able to put the CenturyLink modem/router into Transparent Bridging mode, which essentially just made it into a modem, then I could use my TL-R600VPN router behind it for the LAN side.  Doing this, I **WAS** able to get the Archer AX6000 to connect and work in Access Point mode.  However, I was curious about my new Gigabit internet speed (who wouldn't be), so I began doing some speed tests.  Speed tests from my iPhone 11 Pro, on the 5G network seemed to go fine.  But speed tests from my older laptop on the 2.4GHz band caused the AX6000 to drop connection with the router, and the blue light would spin around and around, and eventually it would usually regain connection with the router, but sometimes it wouldn't -- I'd need to unplug & replug in for it to reconnect.

I'm fairly certain this is an issue specific to the AX6000 router because I have an Archer AX3000 router set up in my garage also in access point mode, identically to how I set up the AX6000 (except for IP address of course), and it has worked great.  I just did a chat with a representative, and told him about this posting, and wanting to downgrade to previous firmware.  He said he was going to email me instructions about how to do it, so we'll see if that happens, and how it goes.

It's been a frustrating couple of weeks, that's for sure.  I do think TP-Link should be working on this urgently.  This is quite an expensive router, and for it to just not work is unacceptable.  I'm hoping this firmware downgrade does the trick, and that they can come up with a better long-term solution.

Options
Related Articles