Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
151 Reply
Re:Archer AX6000 Firmware upgrade ruined everything. Cant go back?
2020-07-21 16:51:16

Nope - didn't work.  They sent me an email with instructions for how to download the previous firmware, and do the normal firmware upgrade process, which fails.  JimBV11 - Any more info you could provide would be great.

I'll try to chat with an agent again.

Options
2020-07-21 16:55:56
How far along did you get? Did you install the beta firmware first?
Options
2020-07-21 17:02:30

@SteveMoz 

Absolutely ridicilous.  I have had to take this $300 router out of my setup and replace with a 4 year old router because I have to have functioning internet - this is absolutely ridicilous that there is not a temporary fix for all of us until they can get their act together.  Allow all of us to download the March 2020 firmware (give it a new number so it appears updated so that we can install) - - absolutely ridicilous.  My final purchase from TP-Link.

Options
2020-07-21 17:07:06
No, He just gave me a download link for the 1.0.7 firmware, and then instructions for how to use the router software page to manually install this firmware. And I knew it wouldn't work, per everyone else's postings, but it tried it. So, which beta firmware was it they had you install?
Options
2020-07-21 17:15:18
sent you a direct message
Options
2020-07-21 17:41:10

Truth is, I'm using the Build 20200212 and even with this the router doesn't work as it is supposed to. All the time I get pages in my brower that don't load (I get the "We can’t connect to the server" message), pages take a lot of time to load. One software I hava that allows collaboration, fails to establish a connection to the software's server etc. Many times, Dropbox goes grey as if it were disconnected. Basically it sucks. If I connect directly to my ISP modem, all works normally.

It is unbelievable that this router got praise in every major review site, and when you buy it these things happen in real usage. I'm utterly disappointed. Considering all the issues most of you are having with the newer even more problmatic firmware, and the fact that I am already using the "savior firmware" and it is as bad as it is, I'm starting to become discouraged. I already tried some of the settings like disabling smart connect, setting channels, channel width, but it didn't get better.

PS: I now got "requested action timed out" message or something like this trying to post this... Some irony.

Options
2020-07-21 19:14:31

Thanks to @JimB11 for all the help!  I feel like writing a tutorial for people to do this procedure, because having to chat with the online support is very long and complicated. Describing this issue to them, and what you need to do and why is very difficult, and they really can't advise you.

So here goes:  Realize, this procedure has the potential to brick your router if you screw it up.  This procedure and the following links are only applicable to HARDWARE VERSION 1.  If you have another hardware version, you could potentially use a similar procedure, but you would need to download firmware files for your hardware version.

Download beta firmware from URL:  https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202006/20200618/ax6000v1_us-up-ver1-1-2-P1[20200617-rel5625]_beta_2020-06-17_13.37.23.zip

Download 1.0.7 firmware from URL:  https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202003/20200312/Archer%20AX6000(US)_V1_200212.zip

Unzip both firmware Zip files.

Connect via ethernet cable to AX6000, log in using router's IP address or tplinkwifi.net page

Navigate to System Tools -> Firmware Upgrade

Browse for beta firmware that you downloaded & unzipped

Click the Upgrade button

Once upgrade completes, and router reboots, reconnect via ethernet cable.

In windows search box, type "Windows features"

Click the top box to "Turn windows features on or off"

Scroll down to Telnet service, and check the box.

Windows will activate telnet

In windows search box, type CMD, and click on CMD app to bring up a command prompt

In the command prompt screen, type: "telnet tplinkwifi.net" OR "telnet 192.168.*.*" (<- IP address of your Archer AX6000 router)

It will be a very interesting screen once you get in.

Type the following command in the telnet window: "vi /etc/partition_config/soft-version"

You will see the version info on the top of the screen.

Type letter "i" to allow you to change the results.

Use the arrow keys to navigate on the screen.  Change "soft_ver:1.1.2" to "soft_ver:1.0.2"

Hit escape (it will not seem like it did anything, but it exited the change mode).

Type ":wq" to save & exit.  It will stay on your screen, but that's ok.

Log back into your router via the tplinkwifi.net page or its IP address

Now you can upgrade to the 1.0.7 firmware that you downloaded & unzipped.

There you have it.  That's the procedure I got from JimB11 (he gets all the credit, thanks bud!).  Like I said, this is a try at your own risk, but it worked for him and it worked for me.  I am still having issues with the AX6000 dropping connection to the DHCP host router when I do a speed test wirelessly, so I think something is still going on when it's moving a lot of data, the connection breaks and it has to reestablish connection with the main router, but whereas before that was taking forever to happen, now, it reconnects pretty quickly.  It doesn't appear to be affected when I'm hardwired to it though.  But it is at least working better, so I can say that.  Good luck everyone, and let's hope TP-Link can find some solutions.  This router has so much potential, I just want it to work like it's supposed to.  Is that too much to ask?

Options
2020-07-22 11:11:33

@SteveMoz 
I ended up doing the downgrade option. 
Sure it may not be the most up to date firmware but its sure better than what we got and the beta. 

For those wanting to give it a try its not that hard to do. But make sure to follow the instructions EXACTLY otherwise you risk bricking your router.

Now lets just hope that TP Link actually release a decent update next time. 
For the time being im just happy to have my wifi being able to talk to each other and the ethernet again. 

Options
2020-07-25 10:42:42

Any update from TP-Link staff on when we will actually see a new firmware.  I'm sure the engineers can give an ETA!

I'm typically a very patient understanding person, but his is beyond crazy.

This needs to be fixed ASAP. 

Options
2020-07-25 12:05:20

@Dmonde 

I feel 10000% the same way.  I chatted with them yesterday - they had no ETA and it was yet another painful conversation....

Options
Related Articles