Deco M9+ V2 - LAN network activity visible outside

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-09 09:27:11
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.11 Build 20190926 Rel. 55727

Hi, I recently bought Deco M9+ V2 with 3 units. So far it works fine with my new 500/500 fiber connection. As many others I was surprised to learn about the M9+ V2 firmware issue, so I join the request for a firmware update as soon as possible.

However, I just opened the Deco App when I was at work, i.e. no access to my private LAN. I discovered that the app worked just as if I had been at home, I can see all my Decos and all my network devices, and even live reporting of network activity on specific devices being used at home. How is this possible? Does it mean all this information is sent from my network to TP-link and the app on my phone gets it from TP-link? This seems like a potential security risk, is it possible not expose such informatioin outside my network?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M9+ V2 - LAN network activity visible outside
2020-06-10 15:36:50

@cacb I think this is intentional, and only visible with the credentials that did the network setup :) unless you give access to other users you can't trust it should be completely safe :)

Options
Re:Deco M9+ V2 - LAN network activity visible outside
2020-06-10 16:47:55

@MagicianThing I would prefer to switch off this 'feature', so the question remains: Is there a way to switch it off and not expose details from my LAN outside? I see no reason to do so and would prefer it not to be published regardless of any assurances.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 868

Replies: 2

Related Articles