Deco P9 drops wireless connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-18 13:56:16
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200513 Rel. 52023

Hi,

I have 3 deco P9s dotted around my house. I seem to have an issue whereby WiFi connections drop intermittently every 10 to 20 mins, this is most noticable while streaming video/audio and when using my remote desktop conection for work.

What appreas to happen is that while the WiFi connection remains, ie Windows, Android etc doesn't report that the WiFi has been disconnected there is a loss of comms. I dont have this problem if I connect directly to my router as all connections are stable.

I've carried out the latest firmware update and the only thing I can see is that the CPUs are very busy - sometimes up to 100%. RAM usage is consistently 50% or there abouts. 

I have trid the following:

• Rebooting all decos
  • rebooting my router
  • assigning static IP addresses
  • changing the operation of the decos from router to access point
  • swapping the decos round&changin the master unit
  • taking one of the decos out of the system

None of the above work. I've had these units since January and only just started to have this problem. I suspect it is likely that this is hardware related.

Many thanks,

Ed

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco P9 drops wireless connections
2020-06-18 14:40:30 - last edited 2020-06-18 14:42:03

@Dave22020 

Having the same issue and raised yesterday on this topic https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/212902 so thought I'd jump on yours and give support ofa another voice..

One thing I noticed was that the unit that kept dropping seemed to want to change its signal source.. would drop connection change source then later drop again and change source unit even though the unit dropping connection was static... almost like it didn't like being equally far away from the two source on the ground floor.. My issue with this is - It should not matter as it should be using a stable powerline connection if the wifi source drops to low. Worth having a look at yours to seee if it changes 'Signal source' between the other two units you have.

@TP-Link Deco how many complaints on the same issue do you need before you start investigating? seems to be a conflict issue here and powerline feature not doing its job properly and being two heavily influenced by the wifi mesh connection.

Options
2020-06-18 15:04:23

@Stephen_Deco9 

Thanks for the support!

I've just had a read of your thread, it seems like a very similar issue.

I will try removing 2 of the three Deco units I have and that should, in theory give a solid pointer as to  if the Deco's are trying to change source between themselves. Testing this will be difficult as the whole reason for having these is to incrase WIFI coveage so in theory I need at least 2 of them to get sinal to my PC.

I agree with reagrds to the way the Decos "should" handle the connectivity between them but it seems  that there is some fault, likely in firmware.

@TP-Link Deco any ideas? There is a 3 year warranty on these so 2 and a half years to go. How are you supporting this?

Thanks,

Options
2020-06-23 09:48:46

@Dave22020 

Ok so I've spent the last hour and a half on a Teamviewer session with tech support.

Their solution was to downgrade my product and disbale the PLC. I'm not sure if that will work but I'm not happy about it. The whole reason I picked the P9 was that it provided PLC support! They have essentially provided a product that doesn't work.

To quote:

"right now, our tempoary solution would be either closing the wifi backhaull or powerline backhaul"

"this stability issue could be resolved through a firmware update"

"right now we can proivde you with a tempoary solution"

To disable the PLC interface they used a bespoke firmware that my decos are still running. This enabled telnet access (no login so security concern here) to them and inturn their seemlingly Linux based Kernel. I've been asked not to share the telnet session on a public form but if you know your way around Linux interface eth 2 appears to be the PLC interface. All you need is to gain access to the box..

I point blank asked for a refund as the product is NOT fit for purpose but it was declined. I was offered a set of deco M5s, these retail for around £50 less than the P9 and a partial refund if off the table.

So I will pursue via the original supplier. On the grounds that the product is not fit for purpose and is not as described.

I would urge other users to retun these items ASAP and certainly before the returns period closes.

Any recommendations for a non TPlink product?

Options
2020-06-23 10:01:36
Quick update... Product returns arranged via Amazon. Goodbye TP link!
Options
2020-06-24 11:57:30 - last edited 2020-06-24 11:58:40

@Dave22020 

Hi. Good to hear you experience. 

I got them today, did only a setup and will test them out when I get them to my parents. I though that this was a simple parent solution. 

Is there a reason that you were getting these problems? And how long after the order did you manage to return them? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 843

Replies: 5

Related Articles