MR200 Reception Issue in High Signal Strength Area

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-18 18:16:40
Model: Archer MR200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: Latest update (switched off right now)

Hi All,

I have worked from home a lot over the last 2 years and we have poor broadband quality where we live as we are a long way from the local CAB.  However, we have always had a good mobile network connection so I decided to get an Archer MR200 4g LTE router so I could use it as an alternative to the Broadband service.  From the get go the Archer had very poor 4G reception, with 1 bar showing, which came as a surprise as our mobile phones were getting 4-5 bars at the same time using the same mobile network.  I researched it and bought a Poynting (XPOL V2) aerial, which was mounted on the roof.  To my amazement this did not improve our reception quality at all, even with the aerial pointed in an 'optimized' direction.  However, the router was still functioning and I could get 5-15 Mbps over 4G vs 1-2 MBps over Broadband, so it has been left as is up to now.  We recently started getting network drops, with the router showing zero bars and it became unusable.  I decided to move the aerial higher up on the roof, in the hope of getting a better reception but midway through this activity I was forced to vacate the roof due to a rain storm.  as the router was out of action I decided to dig out my old Huawei mobile hotspot, which i about the size of a bar of soap and no external antenna.  This was seeing 5 bars connection and is running just as fast as the MR200, plus the network connection is stable. Any ideas, as I prefer the management options I get with the MR200 but connectivity is my first priority.

Thanks,

Warren

ps. I have looked through multiple posts on forum but not seen any reports of similar issues   

Options
4 Reply
Re:MR200 Reception Issue in High Signal Strength Area
2020-06-18 18:34:54

I also need to add, I have tried the settings to switch from 4G Preferred to 4G only and also tried configuring the ISP settings but these made no difference to reception quality over 3G and 4G.  I think this boils down to the MR200 having a poor network card out of the box, or my router was faulty out of the box, as I can't see how other smaller/cheaper devices can out perform it with or wirhout the Poynting antenna added.  

Options
2020-10-05 17:48:18

@Warren569

I had the same reception issues with my Archer MR200.. I played around with the router's settings, until I found a solution, & the router's reception is MUCH BETTER.

PS: this is for Telkom Smart Broadband (LTE) Here's what I changed in the router settings (1st reset your router & setup your preferred password):

• Go to Advanced > Network > Internet:

Leave the Network Mode as "4G Preferred",

Change Network Search to Manual

Create a new profile (Profile Name "unrestricted", PDP Type "IPv4", APN Type "unrestricted") & Save.

• Go to Advanced > Network > LAN Settings:

Leave everything the same & only change Address Lease Time to "1"

Restart your router & you should have much stronger signal strength 👍 Btw, Rain sim does not do well in the Archer MR200 😔

Options
2021-03-18 21:13:28

@Llama 

Not sure if you'll see this but I recently just got a archer 200 and I've been trying to set it up and follow ur instructions because I have the same issues but I don't seem to understand where to find the advanced part of it to find the network and put it on manual, is it on the tether app or on something different?

Options
2021-03-19 18:58:01

@Gantley You need to access tp link's page (http://tplinkmodem.net) & select "PC" before you login, then you'll see the advanced settings tab on the right.

File:
Screenshot_20210319-205341_Chrome.jpgDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3443

Replies: 4