Cannot setup remote desktop through OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-27 16:46:50
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20200426 rel.65338(4555)

When I use an alternative VPN, for example through software (Hamachi) I can remote desktop just fine. I've disabled Hamachi and set up the Archer AX50.

I've set up OpenVPN on this router and can succesfully connect to it on my external client PC. However, I cannot see the PC's in my network nor can I connect to them with windows remote desktop. Client PC is Windows 10 pro.

I've tried adding in a windows firewall rule, but that hasn't worked yet.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Cannot setup remote desktop through OpenVPN
2020-06-28 05:50:11

@skalders 

Hello, please help verify some details and we will try to figure it out:

1. Kindly check the below VPN setup instructions again to confirm all the settings on the AX50 are correct:

How to use OpenVPN to access your home network through the Wi-Fi Routers

BTW, please also provide us your network topology and try to ping the AX50 from outside network.

2. If the above guide doesn't help, please tell us what is the WAN IP address of the AX50 and it is suggested to configure the DDNS:

How to set up TP-LINK DDNS on TP-Link Wireless Router?

3. Please check the VPN Tunnel: login the web interface, and on the VPN Server-> VPN Connections, we can see the status of the VPN Server, confirm if there is a VPN connection enabled. If not, which means the VPN setup is not successful.

4. Check whether you've set block ICMP from LAN port: we will block the ICMP from different LAN subnets by default, so if you don’t uncheck it, it will block this session.

Options
2020-06-28 21:21:14

@Kevin_Z Hi,

1. I followed that tutorial succesfully as far as I know.
    Topology: modem-router from ISP -> TP Link Archer AX50, configured as router (router on router) PPPoE -> 2 switches -> computers.
    I can ping the AX50 from outside, both when OpenVPN is connected and when it's not connected. It's the IP adress on the internet tab in the AX50 control panel, right?

2. WAN IP address, same as above, is 81.242.162.164
    DDNS is enabled through TP link, with a TPlink subdomain

3. When I'm connected, my external IP shows up under "VPN connections" in the AX50 control panel, and I'm assigned a local IP (10.8.0.10)

4. I was unable to find any setting related to ICMP, nor did I find any mention of it in the full user guide of the AX50

Options
2020-06-29 19:30:13

@skalders 

Same problem I am facing with my AX6000 router after I set up the dynamic DNS using TpLINK services still open VPN it shows my pubic IP address ??

I was using Asus 2900 and working perfect without any problems?!

TPLINK SHOULD CHECK AND RESOLVE THE PROBLEMS ASAP.

Options
2020-06-29 22:14:34
I also cannot ping any PC in my network from my external PC. Also tried no-ip DDNS instead of TP-link, and it doesn't work either. no-ip does say my OpenVPN port (1194) is not open, even though I have tried forwarding it through NAT forwarding -> virtual server. Even tried DMZ.
Options
2020-06-30 07:23:46

@skalders 

Hi, sorry for any trouble caused by the VPN settings.

What kind of LAN device you are trying to access from the external client Windows 10 pro? Please try to disable the Windows firewall on both sides to give it a go.

If it is ok, we will follow up on this case via email, and please kindly share us the config file on the AX50, then we will ask our engineers to analyze it.

Thanks.

Options
2020-06-30 07:34:46

@Kevin_Z 

What kind of LAN device you are trying to access from the external client Windows 10 pro? Please try to disable the Windows firewall on both sides to give it a go.

Both the external client and the device I'm trying to access is a windows 10 pro PC. I've tried disabling the windows firewalls on both sides but it did not work. When I try a different VPN solution like the tunnel software Hamachi I can RDP just fine, and ping to the PC as well.

If it is ok, we will follow up on this case via email, and please kindly share us the config file on the AX50, then we will ask our engineers to analyze it.

Yes, that's ok, to what address should I email the config file? And where can I find/export the config file? I don't see anything mentioning this in the control panel.

Options
2021-01-31 20:40:09 - last edited 2021-01-31 20:40:26

@skalders im having the same issue. Any solution you could provide or advice? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2985

Replies: 7

Related Articles