Why don't you answer threads directed to TP-Link?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-03 20:53:51 - last edited 2020-07-15 03:41:38
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: Archer C20[EU]_V4_170822

I've got a modem supplied by my ISP, it's basic [Archer C20] but it's the supplied version.

I've recently had trouble and they want me to update the firmware to the latest level. I can only download the latest level from the Global site and then the firmware fails to install because TP-Link hasn't got it on the local website.

How has the ISP managed to get it but users can't?

If TP-Link has an updated firmware, why don't they list what countries it applies to, or lists exceptions?

They should also be more proactive on the forum and answer queries that are addressed to them. It appears to be a random system at present.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Why don't you answer threads directed to TP-Link?-Solution
2020-07-13 03:00:00 - last edited 2020-07-15 03:41:38

@Nomadtoo 

Hello, sorry for that, you may change the wireless password to a new one for any security concerns.

As per the device SN printed on the label, this Archer C20 is a customized version for the local market and there is currently no available firmware for it, while the latest firmware on the official website is for the generic version. Even though the hardware of the two are the same, their firmware versions are different and it is not allowed to upload the latest firmware on the official website into your device.

Generally, it is not necessary to upgrade the router firmware if it is currently functioning properly. However, you may provide more details if you've encountered an issue, then we will try to help figure it out.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Why don't you answer threads directed to TP-Link?
2020-07-09 08:50:06

@Nomadtoo 

Hello, sorry to respond late.

Can I have a screenshot of the device label which shows the region version of the C20? According to your description, it seems that the hardware might be a customized version by your ISP or designed for the local market, which may not be allowed to be upgraded to a generic firmware, but we can confirm it first.

Thanks.

Options
2020-07-09 16:16:15

@Nomadtoo   This is the router supplied by my ISP in South Africa.

So, Why are they telling me to update the firmware that they obviously have, but is not available on the local website and fails when downloaded from the global website?

Options
2020-07-09 16:19:17
Don't understand why you need a screenshot of the label that also shows the default password and SSIDs. However, as I'm in the middle of a retirement estate it's unlikely that anyone is going to hook into it.
Options
2020-07-10 19:56:38 - last edited 2020-07-10 19:57:03

@Kevin_Z 

I've provided the screenshot of the label so why the delay.

I'm a bit [not happy] or [p****d off] with the lack of response.

The router is clearly a freebee? from the ISP and has their setup but why are they entitled to upgrade to a different level of firmware than that of the country website?

Please explain.

Options
Re:Why don't you answer threads directed to TP-Link?-Solution
2020-07-13 03:00:00 - last edited 2020-07-15 03:41:38

@Nomadtoo 

Hello, sorry for that, you may change the wireless password to a new one for any security concerns.

As per the device SN printed on the label, this Archer C20 is a customized version for the local market and there is currently no available firmware for it, while the latest firmware on the official website is for the generic version. Even though the hardware of the two are the same, their firmware versions are different and it is not allowed to upload the latest firmware on the official website into your device.

Generally, it is not necessary to upgrade the router firmware if it is currently functioning properly. However, you may provide more details if you've encountered an issue, then we will try to help figure it out.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-07-13 09:11:04

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

I was experiencing problems with a fibre connection and the ISP said it was the Fibre supplier and the Fibre supplier past the problem back to the ISP saying that it was their problem. I found out that there was a problem with the fibre supplier and it was fixed. However my line started dropping again a few days later, goig from a Ping of 2 to one of 1,000+ and a download speed of 50 Mbps to negligible. That was when they told me to update the firmware but I couldn't so they told me to give them control so they could do it remotely.

I refuse to hand over control of my control of my computer to unknowns so my best option will be to use another router.

I am IT and Network capable so can easily do this. Just in case you are wondering why I am using a WiFi router. In South Africa the Fibre company terminates their fibre to a CPE and then the ISP router connects to that.

Options
2020-07-14 02:48:51

@Nomadtoo 

Hello,

If the speed of this Archer C20 is not as good as expected, we will get some details first and try to fix it:

1. What is the speed you can get from the Archer C20 by wired cable and wireless separately? You can run a speed test 3 times with a computer connected to it.

2. Please verify its wired/wireless negotiation speed as the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

3. Please also refer to the instruction below to narrow down the issue and provide more details as you can:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2170/

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
2020-07-14 10:17:51

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

Normally it's OK but occasionally it was dropping [see my last note]. Only iPads and phones use WiFi. Computers and TVs etc are all hard wired with Cat 5E or Cat6 cabling.

I also changed the password back to the default when I was interfacing with the ISP but normally I have my own.

I ran numerous speed tests and sent them to the ISP and don't believe it is the router. I worked in IT since 1968 so I understand how things work, including Help Desks with little knowledge and stock answers. It would be good to have the latest firmware as these releases are there to improve or fix things.

What I don't understand is why TP-Link has issued new firmware and specicically excluded RSA [and others, perhaps] but my RSA ISP is saying that they want to install it.

Don't worry about continuing with this problem. I have another router that has better Wifi and will install that. 

Options
2020-07-15 03:43:05

@Nomadtoo 

Hello, thanks for all of your detailed information and thank you for your understanding.

Have a nice day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 601

Replies: 9