Setting Up Old Router TL-WR841N into WIFI Extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-07 09:12:32 - last edited 2020-07-16 07:23:05
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V9
Firmware Version:

Hello Everyone,

I am searching for a while now and now posting on this forum for some solution, i have my old router TL-WR841N which i have successfully converted into wifi extender using youtube DIY videos / tutorials, everything works great but after 3-4 hours it shows connected with router but has (no internet access) whereas if i connect with the main router all works flawless.

I have even tried to take windows built-in trouble shooting options but had no luck and when I try to open router control pannel using my new ip address generated as per the video guidance i.e. 192.168.0. xxx (to any number) it does not connect, why so?

I am facing this problem for long, and need urgent guidance to make easy use of wifi because the main router is placed in 2nd room ahead from where I am locatead.

Please anyone could advise or share me step by step guidance in-order to over comes this issue.

Looking fowrard for your guidance and support.

Thank you.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Setting Up Old Router TL-WR841N into WIFI Extender
2020-07-09 03:13:07

@W.D. 

Hello,

As per your description, it seems that you've configured the WDS function on this WR841N to extend the wireless network of your main wireless network but the connection will disconnect for some time, please help confirm more details:

1. What is the modem number of your main wireless router? How about the signal of it when you sitting in your room where the WR841N is? If there are two rooms ways, I guess the signal may not be good enough for the WR841N to connect, but please confirm it and try to move them closer if possible.

2. Once this WR841N has been configured successfully to work as an extender, the default IP address might be changed from 192.168.0.1 to a random one which is assigned by your main router, you need to log into your main router's web UI to get it. Generally, we suggest you set a static IP address when configuring the WDS feature on the WR841N, here are the detailed instructions you may refer to:

How to configure WDS function on TP-Link Wireless Routers

Good days.

Options
2020-07-16 07:17:52

@Kevin_Z Hello Kevin,

Apprecaite your response and the link shared from your end regarding method to configure your router as extender is exactly what i did. As for the you query regarding signal weekness i have even tried 2-3 times moving closed (just a few feet) from main router.

And yes i have use the WDS mode, why is that so that after successfully conversion all works greater (both through wifi + ethernet) but with-in an hour my device shows connected but (no internet access) and IP has been randomly change and not able to access my wifi extender router control pannel.

I am in desperate need of help because moving the main router to my room will take wiring which will be visible and to get is Concealed will cost me much more.

Looking for the help and for main router I am using a different model (Tenda F3) and my old router converted to extender is TP Link TL-WR841N. 

Regards,
W.D.

Options
2020-07-21 16:10:16

@W.D. Hello,

Anyone please help.

Regards,
W.D.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0