Getting a grasp on Deco M5 guest network in AP mode and access to parent network.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Getting a grasp on Deco M5 guest network in AP mode and access to parent network.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-13 22:36:52
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

Greetings,

I have an existing Netgear cable modem and router connected to several hard-wired internal network devices.  I recently added the M5 (OK, today) and set it to AP mode so that devices joining through this network have access to the internal network.

I want to include a guest network on the M5, but was wondering about the mechanism by which it protects the parent's (Netgear) internal network in AP mode.  I tested it out and it looks like I can access the web interface on my router, but nothing else.  How's that work?  Save for the http connection to the Netgear router, is everything else on the parent network (NAS, PCs, etc.) protected?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Getting a grasp on Deco M5 guest network in AP mode and access to parent network.
2020-07-23 10:55:53

@TheJosh 

Hello,

As far as I know, when Deco M5 works in router mode, the guest network is isolated from the main network. While the guest and the main network are not isolated when Deco works in AP mode.

Do you mean when a device is connected to M5's guest network, you can access the web UI of the netgear but cannot communicate with other devices in the main network? This should not happen. Can you please confirm again what is your network layout and what is the settings for the Deco network, you may show us the Deco app screenshots.

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 623

Replies: 1