DECO M5 Home network and Guest Network issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-28 01:21:57 - last edited 2020-09-30 03:58:46
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.0

The DECO M5 won't distinguish Home LAN from Guest LAN.

If home lan is 192.168.1.x than guest lan will be 192.168.1.x

The same if the home changes to 10.10.10.x... than guest lan will capture the IP's 10.10.10.x

If this is how is pretend to work, what's the point to have 2 Wi-Fi networks? Why one to home and another to guests?

I have another router at home and the guest wi-fi is far from being the same as the home one.

There's must be some kind of bug here...

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:DECO M5 Home network and Guest Network issues-Solution
2020-09-29 08:28:15 - last edited 2020-09-30 04:01:05

@PedroQuintas 

Hi, thanks for asking.

When Deco is working as a Router, the guest clients will obtain the IP address that is in the same IP subnet as that from the main network, while the guest clients cannot access the main network resources or communicate with the clients connected to the main network. You may just do a simple test to confirm this, the clients connected to the guest network cannot ping the clients connected to the main.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-29 11:58:31 - last edited 2020-09-30 03:58:46

@TP-Link_Deco,updating that information:

Yesterday I've clear all DECO's and instead of having already the 1.5.0 BETA I've updated them again.

Now I've just ended all the configuration again and it's working, so probably I had some bug over here.

Forget this issue.

It's working now... at least for me it is, on regular an guest WiFi.

About the access to DECO's let me now (on a new thread perhaps) when you launch a firmware capable of avoiding guest to access to the router.

Thanks for your help.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:DECO M5 Home network and Guest Network issues
2020-09-28 09:35:49

Just one more add, as I read in some post that the guest wifi only works with 2 different networks if we use the deco m5 as router.

I'm using it as router with the other 3 (4 total m5) connected by cable and wifi and is not working.

So bottom line, the guest only connects on the principal m5 and even there the network is the same as the home range addresses, so the only thing you do is give a different password to access to all my network...

Please solve thing asap. It's a huge security issue.

Probably no one can use guest wifi until you solve this as we can't allow stragers to access all our network.

Options
2020-09-29 08:28:15 - last edited 2020-09-30 04:01:05

@PedroQuintas 

Hi, thanks for asking.

When Deco is working as a Router, the guest clients will obtain the IP address that is in the same IP subnet as that from the main network, while the guest clients cannot access the main network resources or communicate with the clients connected to the main network. You may just do a simple test to confirm this, the clients connected to the guest network cannot ping the clients connected to the main.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-29 10:03:29

Hello @TP-Link_Deco,

Thanks for your reply.

That's correct, however they can access the router itself, something it could be avoid with a simple ip or link rule which avoid the guest network (if different) to access remotely to it (https://tplinkdeco.net).

If on the same network, rules will not be possible to apply...

Just one more add if you can help or pass through the information:

It's only possible to access to the guest Wi-Fi if you do it on the primary DECO M5. If you try it on a second, third and so on, you get no assign IP address.

Options
2020-09-29 11:14:44

@PedroQuintas 

Hello, thanks for the update.

As per the request not allowing the guest client to access the Deco router's web or management via the Deco app, it is not available now on the Deco and there is no option. While this request has been noted and will go to our developer as a feature request.

What do you mean by connecting to the guest network of the second or third? The Deco Wi-Fi network is a mesh network, if you enable the guest network on the Deco app, it will apply to all Deco node, I don't think there is an option to choose to connect to a specific guest node. Can you describe it in mode details?

Options
2020-09-29 11:51:54

@TP-Link_Deco, you are correct... It's a mesh network, but:

If you try to access the guest network, when you're in a point away from the principal deco, so you get another deco on the network, the guest access won't let you to get an ip address.

With the regular network it's working fine.

Just put two deco's away from each other (seeing itself :) ) and try connect to the guest WiFi near the principal one. It will connect and get the ip address. All will work smoothly.

Now go next to the other one and try to access to the guest WiFi. You will see that will have a huge delay to access to it and when finally do never capture an ip address.

If you do the same test with the regular WiFi it will work ok.

Options
2020-09-29 11:58:31 - last edited 2020-09-30 03:58:46

@TP-Link_Deco,updating that information:

Yesterday I've clear all DECO's and instead of having already the 1.5.0 BETA I've updated them again.

Now I've just ended all the configuration again and it's working, so probably I had some bug over here.

Forget this issue.

It's working now... at least for me it is, on regular an guest WiFi.

About the access to DECO's let me now (on a new thread perhaps) when you launch a firmware capable of avoiding guest to access to the router.

Thanks for your help.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-30 04:00:28

@PedroQuintas 

Hi, thanks for the update and glad to hear that the previous guest network issue was resolved.

As per the new firmware or new feature on the Deco devices, it is very suggested to keep an eye on your Deco app or pay attention to the official website, as we will update it from there.

Good days~

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3310

Replies: 7

Related Articles