Archer AX10 AX1500, 2.4GHz band slow, multiple setting changes, tested 2 net services and routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer AX10 AX1500, 2.4GHz band slow, multiple setting changes, tested 2 net services and routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-09 14:36:09 - last edited 2020-10-23 01:39:29
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

I know this prolem has been posted with this router multiple times, a Google search will reveal that. It seems no one has found a solution.

I have an AX10 AX1500 and my 2.4 GHz band will not get up to speed where it should be. 

I have 2 internet connections in my home at the moment, cable internet rated at 200mbps, and a fiber connection rated at 300mbps

I also have a Linksys router that probably about 10 years old. 

* I made sure the device I was testing with, was the only device connected *

For 5GHz this new router wastes the old one, downloads at 300+ with my fiber, 200+ with cable.

For 2.4 GHz the old Linksys is wasting this TP-Link. This is unfortunate because I'd like several devices around my home on 2.4GHz and dedicate 5Ghz to a few devices that need the extra bandiwdth. 

My Linksys, on 2.4GHz, will get me over 100mbps down on either my cable or fiber lines. 

The TP-Link on 2.4GHz, the best I've gotten is 67mbps down. This isn't a terrible speed by any stretch, but when my 10 yr old router can do better, we have a problem. I should be able to squeeze out about 50% of my hardline connection over 2.4, so I should be in the neighborhood of 100 with my cable, and 150 with my fiber. 

I have tried tweaking every setting, choosing Auto, 20 or 40 for channel width, choosing auto and different channels, and choosing n only, g/n only and b/g/n for modes. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer AX10 AX1500, 2.4GHz band slow, multiple setting changes, tested 2 net services and routers-Solution
2020-10-23 01:39:22 - last edited 2020-10-23 01:39:29

@otwist404     @realitycheck    @jdub111 

Hello all, thank you very much for bringing this up. As for the 2.4GHz wireless issue, we would like to get more details narrow down this issue and try to fix it, hope you could help:

1. Ensure the firmware of your AX10 is up-to-date:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-ax10/#Firmware

2. We want to know what kind of device are you testing with this 2.4GHz wireless connection? How about the link speed on that device? If it is a computer, you may check it like below, please show us the screenshot, thanks:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Note: If the link speed is not as good as expected, please try with another computer with a more powerful wireless adapter. BTW, tell us the model number of that wireless adapter that runs on your computer.

3. What is the network layout? Try to simplify your network if there are other routers or RE in your network, just leave the modem and the AX10 on, disconnect other devices and run the Speedtest app 3 times. Please ensure the 2.4GHz wireless channel width is set to 40MHz, you may also try to run third-party software like Wi-Fi Scanner to find a clearer channel.

4. Please ensure QoS is disabled on the AX10 or try to reset it to the factory defaults, then reconfigure it from scratch.

Thank you all for any more info about the issue, nice day~

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
17 Reply
Re:Archer AX10 AX1500, 2.4GHz band slow, multiple setting changes, tested 2 net services and routers
2020-08-10 01:49:21

@jwack 

Hello, 

We would do some troubleshooting first to narrow down this issue and try to fix it.

1. Ensure the firmware of your AX10 is up-to-date, and show me the screenshot of the firmware version, thanks.

2. What kind of device are you testing with this 2.4GHz wireless connection? How about the link speed on it? If it is a computer, you may check it like below:

Note: If the link speed is not as good as expected, please try with another computer with a more powerful wireless adapter. BTW, tell us the model number of that wireless adapter that runs on your computer.

3. Are you testing the speed by speedtest.net? Please try to download the Speedtest app on your computer and simplify your network layout if there are other routers or RE in your network, just leave the modem and the AX10 on, disconnect other devices and run the Speedtest app 3 times. Please ensure the 2.4GHz wireless channel width is set to 40MHz.

4. Please disable QoS on the AX10 or try to reset it to the factory defaults, then reconfigure it from scratch.

Good day.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Archer AX10 AX1500, 2.4GHz band slow, multiple setting changes, tested 2 net services and routers
2020-08-26 04:59:09
TP-Link Please fix this 2.4Ghz issue. Old hardware works fine and this new AK1500 is really unstable @ 2.4Ghz.
Options
2020-10-10 05:22:20

@jwack 

I have the exact same issue with my 2.4ghz channel.  I can get 500Mbps down / 20 Mbps up on the 5Ghz channel.  I only get 25Mbps up and 20Mbps down using 2.4Ghz.  I have tried changing channels, channel width, transmit power, etc, nothing helps.  I decided to open up my brand new router and see what was going on inside (maybe the 2.4Ghz antennas were disconnected).  So what I found is that the 5Ghz antenna wires are connected to the mainboard/radio with those tiny micro rf connectors that you see in laptops.  The 2.4Ghz antennas are soldered to surface mount solder pads with gobs of solder.  I wonder if this method of connection is causing the performance drop (the interior conductor is unshielded for about 4mm on each connection).  I even resoldered the antennas to no effect.   Maybe I'll try to add some shielding and see what happens.  Currently, I only have one device (printer) that needs a 2.4ghz connection. 

Options
2020-10-17 14:36:14

I just got my AX10 and I did speed test using the 5GHz connection, I am getting around 350-400Mbps although my WAN link is 1Gbps. I did not enable the Smart Connect. Is there anyway to fine tune? 

Options
2020-10-22 13:58:24
Yes, I have the same thing. 2.4 sucks. This router is about to be returned.
Options
Re:Archer AX10 AX1500, 2.4GHz band slow, multiple setting changes, tested 2 net services and routers-Solution
2020-10-23 01:39:22 - last edited 2020-10-23 01:39:29

@otwist404     @realitycheck    @jdub111 

Hello all, thank you very much for bringing this up. As for the 2.4GHz wireless issue, we would like to get more details narrow down this issue and try to fix it, hope you could help:

1. Ensure the firmware of your AX10 is up-to-date:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-ax10/#Firmware

2. We want to know what kind of device are you testing with this 2.4GHz wireless connection? How about the link speed on that device? If it is a computer, you may check it like below, please show us the screenshot, thanks:

3. What is the network layout? Try to simplify your network if there are other routers or RE in your network, just leave the modem and the AX10 on, disconnect other devices and run the Speedtest app 3 times. Please ensure the 2.4GHz wireless channel width is set to 40MHz, you may also try to run third-party software like Wi-Fi Scanner to find a clearer channel.

4. Please ensure QoS is disabled on the AX10 or try to reset it to the factory defaults, then reconfigure it from scratch.

Thank you all for any more info about the issue, nice day~

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-23 01:42:10

@DK307 

Hi, your issue about the AX10 seems different from others, it is suggested to test the internet speed by connecting the computer to your ISP modem directly first, then connect the ISP modem--AX10--the same computer, test the wired internet speed as well; make certain the QoS on the AX10 is disabled when we test the speed on AX10.

Options
2021-03-14 21:51:34

@jwack 

I have had 6 tplink routers in my house, all very good, in particular the TL-WR1043ND which worked excellent for years at home.
I bought my first Wifi6 router, the AX1500 Version 1 less than a year ago... the performance has been less than the 1043ND (which was only 450MBites).

Weeks trying to solve it and as I could not leave the kids without their classes nor me with my telework, I bought and installed momentarily the Huawei AX30 to get out of the way; it is very cheap .... It has almost no parameters, just connect, and the speed flew, it gives me the full speed of my ISP of 600 MBites on my mobile.

Then I tried to put the AX1500 as an access point and I still have the same problems of negligible speeds on 2MHz, and on 5 MHz very changeable... I have connected on the ethernet gateways and run iperf3, getting 940MBite and no tx/rx errors... so the wired network is fine... It is then the AX1500 that is very bad its WIFI... may be its firmware or Hardware... but as it has been so long without warning by TP-Link.... Even shortly after they released the AX1500 Version 1.2 it seems to me that there must be an error in the hardware and they are not willing to change all the equipment.

Options
2021-04-15 06:50:13

@jwack 

Good Day. I have a very same issue that most of us are experiencing. I just discovered lately that I have very slow Download & Upload speed connecting to 2.4Ghz Band.

My internet speed is is up to 200MBPS for download & upload. The CIR that I have is 80MBPS for both. But when I used 2.4ghz my download speed is only ranging from 30-40mbps & the Upload speed is ranging from 25-35mbps only. I think I encountered this issue when I updated my firmware to the latest version.

I hope their technical team can look for a solution to resolve this issue. 

Here is the details of my AX10 router:

Firmware Version:

1.1.5 Build 20201230 Rel. 40465(5553)

Hardware Version:

Archer AX10 v1.20

Options
2021-04-28 08:11:16

@Yam1208 

First, check that you have set the "Channel Width" in the router's 2.4 GHz wireless settings to "40MHz".

Second, verify that your client device actually supports dual-stream (2×2) and 40 MHz channel width operation. To do this you need to check on the client device if it reports a connection speed of 300 Mbps (or at least something between 200-300 Mbps). How you check that depends on the operating system of the client device. For example, on Android you will probably need to install an additional App to get the connection speed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 9200

Replies: 17

Related Articles