Devices have no internet access, strong connection to the extender, and no errors on the devices.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Devices have no internet access, strong connection to the extender, and no errors on the devices.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-13 18:18:04 - last edited 2020-08-31 02:32:02
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20190521 Rel. 52591

This is a a brand new device and I'm starting to get really fustrated.  At least once a day all the devices that are connected to the extender loose connection to the internet. There is no notifications on the devices of any lost of internet acccess and the connection to the extender is strong.  Most of the devices are IOS.   There are several process I have used to reconnect with no consistent result.  The process that always works with the devices is to go into the wireless setting and remove the connection to the extender and then re-add it.  I have experence this issue while activly streaming a video. The application warned that the connection to the internet was interupted but the IOS had no warning about lose of internet access.  I updated the firmware yesterday, but this has done nothing.   The extender is connected to the host network via 2.4GHz; my router does not have 5GHz. The extender network is broadcasting both 2.4 and 5GHz.   SSID for the 2.4GHz is the same as the host, the 5GHZ is not.  The issue happens on both frequences.   There is only one device on the network that has to be 2.4GHz (pellet grill); the primary reason we purchased the extender.   A example of lost of connection: I will check email on my phone and see that it has not updated. When I turn off the Wi-Fi on the phone email and data text messages will come in.   

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Devices have no internet access, strong connection to the extender, and no errors on the devices. -Solution
2020-08-24 17:21:17 - last edited 2020-08-31 02:32:02

@SlipShot Sorry for the delay.  The issue was a old Wireless router that had DHCP enabled.  I'm not sure how the clients were even getting to the router, but taking the router offline fixed the issue.   Thanks for all the  help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Devices have no internet access, strong connection to the extender, and no errors on the devices.
2020-08-17 02:59:38

@SlipShot 

Good day.

For your case, could you please help us check the following information so that we would forward your case to the senior engineers:

1. What is the model number of your main router?
  2. When the internet dropped, have you ever noticed any changes about the LED lights on the RE650, like 4ghz light gone red, or off?
  3. When the internet connection dropped and you are still connected to the extender with internet service, could you please try to log into the RE650 via tplinkrepeater.net to get the following information:
  4. Please also try to ping the gateway when there is no internet anymore;

Thank you!

Options
Re:Devices have no internet access, strong connection to the extender, and no errors on the devices.
2020-08-17 16:39:23

@Solla-topee I have more confusing information.    I have found that the devices are renewing there DHCP IP address on a "Ghost" subnet.   The production DHCP subnet is 192.168.0.0/24,  the Ghost DHCP subnet that the devices are renewing to is 192.168.1.0/24. This is confusing as that the "ghost"  DHCP subnet does not exist anywhere.  I checked the Centurylink router and the TP Link and it just does not exist.    The TP-Link DHCP is configured to Auto: 

Here is a screenshot of my ISP router DHCP configuration.  

Options
2020-08-17 17:17:32

@Solla-topee I have attached the logs.  The logs show the "ghost" subnet.   The log is "received a DHCP offer: Server ID is 54.Assigned IP address is 10.168.1.13".  Can you explain that to me?  Does that mean that the TP-Link recevied the IP from the router?  

File:
systemlog.txtDownload
Options
2020-08-18 03:20:28

@SlipShot 

Good day.

Thank you for your kind reply.

May I know the model number of your main router?

Can I have a picture of the status page as well when the extender lost the connection from the router?

I might need to follow up on your case by email and Please keep an eye on your message box.

Thank you!

Options
Re:Devices have no internet access, strong connection to the extender, and no errors on the devices. -Solution
2020-08-24 17:21:17 - last edited 2020-08-31 02:32:02

@SlipShot Sorry for the delay.  The issue was a old Wireless router that had DHCP enabled.  I'm not sure how the clients were even getting to the router, but taking the router offline fixed the issue.   Thanks for all the  help. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1188

Replies: 5

Related Articles