Cant forward port

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Cant forward port

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
35 Reply
Re:Cant forward port
2021-06-22 09:48:43

@talbot 

So the Synology NAS DS220j is connected to the LAN port of the Archer C80, and you want to visit it from the outside/WAN network, right? If that is the case, you will need to open the ports for the NAS on the C80, but please also ensure you have got a public IP address on the C80 WAN from the internet, otherwise, you will need to open the corresponding ports on the front-end modem/router for the C80 as well.

Here are the instructions to do the port forwarding for the NAS on the C80, please have a check:

Port forwarding: how to set up virtual server on TP-Link 11ac archer series wireless router

If it is not working, check this guide to do some troubleshooting:

Why port forwarding feature is not working on my router?

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-06-22 10:48:19

@Kevin_Z yes, as you wrote. My NAS is connected to the LAN port of the Archer C80 and I want to visit it from the outside/WAN network.
I already configured ports and it is accessible from the WAN. That's not the problem. Problem is with VPN port 1701. I installed VPN server on my NAS, but it is not accessible because Archer C80 is unable to forward port 1701. That's the issue we are discussing here.
You sent me the tutorial how to configure TP-Link 11ac, not the Archer C80. Archer C80 doesn't have menu called "Virtual Servers", it is called "Port Forwarding" on Archer C80.

Please answer to my straightforward questions from my previous message:

1. If port 1701 is reserved for the L2TP WAN connection, is it possible that Archer C80 could act as a VPN server?
  2. At least it would be fine if router administrators have option to change all reserved ports of router. Are these ports in use?
  3. What is the purpose of them?
  4. Does TP-Link have the opportunity to log in to router or is it used for Tether mobile application, TP-Link ID...?
  5. Do you know when the firmware update/fix will be available?

Thank you.

Options
2021-06-24 07:04:43

@talbot 

Hello, the Archer C80 doesn't support the VPN server feature. As mentioned earlier, this 1701 is reserved for the WAN connection, which is similar as the configuration in the article, you can choose the correct VPN type if your ISP supports it:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1950/

We TP-Link don't have the authorization to access your router, neither via the web nor via the Tether app.

We will escalate the case to the support engineers, they will work with you to solve the issue you are encountering.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-06-24 08:02:58 - last edited 2021-06-24 08:11:06

@Kevin_Z oh, now it is clear to me. The router can connect to VPN server of the ISP. Am I correct?
But in my case I use "Static IP" assigned by my ISP. In this case the port should not be reserved. It should be reserved only in case the user selects VPN (L2TP/1701 or PPTP/1723) connection. Of course, you should fix this, otherwise you will loose your customers as you could see in previous reactions of the users in this thread.
I hope the fix will be available soon.

Best Regards

Options
2021-06-25 09:19:29

@talbot 

That is correct. Please check the email we sent to you to confirm if the issue will be fixed, thanks.

Options
2021-06-25 10:40:27

@Kevin_Z thank you for the new binaries. I will test it probably on sunday or monday. Have a nice weekend.

Options
2021-06-26 08:21:24 - last edited 2021-06-26 09:27:28

May I have the detailed network layout and where is the L2TP VPN server?

https://testmyspeed.onl/]

Options
2021-06-29 08:48:05

@alenalien38 my internal network is 192.168.1.x. Archer C80 is behind the router of my ISP. I have configured port forwarding and my ISP too. I am connected to my ISP using the static IP address. I connect to my server behind ISP router and Archer C80 via DDNS, because I do not have public IP address. My IP address is dynamic, not static. Here is my speed statistic:

Options
2021-06-29 08:55:03

Hi @Kevin_Z, yesterday I tried to configure my router with your beta binaries. I was able to configure port forwarding for port 1701, but I was unable to test the correctness of my setup. I was unable to connect to my VPN from web over my IPS's router, then via Archer C80 to my VPN server in private network. I tested to connect to my VPN server in my LAN and obviusly it worked as expected. But I was unable to connnect to VPN server from outside of the Archer C80 (and ISP's router). I do not know where is the problem. I would like to test it in LAN of 3rd router, which I will connect between Archer C80 and ISP's router. May be today or tomorrow. But I can't to promise it to you.
I do not know if I will have time to test it in the following days, because I am busy. But I will test it after july 16th. Please, be patient. 

Options
2021-06-30 02:37:23

@talbot 

Do you mean you still cannot visit the VPN server from the outside/WAN of the C80 after successfully enabling the 1701 port on it? If that is the case, can you please confirm again if the network layout is like below?

ISP modem router---C80---VPN server

What is the WAN IP address on the C80, and what is that on the ISP modem router? Be aware that you can only visit the local network when the IP address on the ISP modem router is a public one, you can confirm that with your ISP for sure that there is no special limitation on the network.

Options
Related Articles