AX1500 Open VPN Server setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-29 19:39:58 - last edited 2020-09-03 09:25:42
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20200706 Rel. 8066(5553)

HI, I followed the instrcutions in the users guide in chapter 11 to setup a VPN Server with an OpenVPN client. I cannot get it to connect. Can you tell me how the firewall should be configured for this to work, there is no mention of changing the firewall settings in Chapter 11.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AX1500 Open VPN Server setup-Solution
2020-08-31 18:00:12 - last edited 2020-09-03 09:25:42

@woozle Thanks for the reply! I was able to get things working without changing any of the default security settings, i left respond to WAN pings off and didn't have to open any of the ports. I wasn't sure if those were issues but after seeing your post started looking elsewhere. I had previously set this up on a netgear router successfully. A couple of issues were stopping me from connecting successfully, first the no-ip address I was using was no longer resolving to my IP address and secondly I was running remote desktop and the computer I was trying to access was not visible on the network. After fixing these issues I was able to connect. Thanks again.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:AX1500 Open VPN Server setup
2020-08-29 21:18:02

@LarryHL 

Commercial routers for home use normally open the ports that are required for a certain service on their own when you activate that service.

Anyway, I have a TP-Link AX50 and didn't need to change any firewall settings to get OpenVPN to work.

Is this the first time you are trying to set up a VPN server on your internet connection or have you previously had another router in place of the AX1500 that was successfully running a VPN server?

Options
Re:AX1500 Open VPN Server setup-Solution
2020-08-31 18:00:12 - last edited 2020-09-03 09:25:42

@woozle Thanks for the reply! I was able to get things working without changing any of the default security settings, i left respond to WAN pings off and didn't have to open any of the ports. I wasn't sure if those were issues but after seeing your post started looking elsewhere. I had previously set this up on a netgear router successfully. A couple of issues were stopping me from connecting successfully, first the no-ip address I was using was no longer resolving to my IP address and secondly I was running remote desktop and the computer I was trying to access was not visible on the network. After fixing these issues I was able to connect. Thanks again.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2091

Replies: 2