External wifi needed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

External wifi needed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
External wifi needed
External wifi needed
2020-09-01 13:05:18

Im trying to use powerline adapters to extend the wifi to an outbuilding so i can install a wifi security camera. I already have a tplink setup in the house and paired the new adapters to that. I plugged the extender into the shed which has power supplied via the mains in the house. I can't get any signal in the shed at all, any ideas?

Options
2 Reply
Re:External wifi needed
2020-09-03 07:55:51
Hi, I had this issue and although the outhouse was fed by the same consumer unit from the ringmain in the house the outhouse had its own consumer unit, the tp link failed to work. I had to install a separate 13amp socket taken the power feed before the consumer unit which resolved the issue, this socket is still protected but from the house consumer unit rather than the outhouse one, it may work for you also. Seems they don't like too many consumer units in line even if on the same mains feed from the house.
Options
Re:External wifi needed
2020-09-03 20:06:53

@Humey86 I've just set up a pair of AV2000 Passthrough powerline adaptors, one is in my shed approx 80ft from the router.

shed power is fed from my house consumer unit and the socket in teh shed passes through another saller consuer unit in the shed.

I just had a tech friend who is a software engineer run a test. Im getting 49mb/sec download and 5mb/sec upload.

He was pretty surprised the speed was so good. He also 'pinged' the router and said the connection was pretty stable. He said the stability may be due to the fact the wiring is only 5 years old.

My only let doen is that we have Sky fibre broadband, and the signal to the router fluctuates.

What I would like to ask the community is there any way I can plug some device into mth second ethernet port on the shed powerline adaptor, to create a wi fi signal?

thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 575

Replies: 2

Related Articles